Free programs for kids, families at Place Maillardville
Place Maillardville, at 1200 Cartier Avenue, Coquitlam, offers the following free and low-cost programs for families.
• Family Drop-In, through Dec. 21. Ideal for pre-school age children and their guardians, this program offers free play, crafts, games, songs, circle and story time. Drop in three times a week: Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 12 noon, Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:15 to 11:15 a.m. This program is funded by the United Way of Lower Mainland.
• Family Drop-In Sports at Alderson elementary school, Thursdays, through Dec. 8 from 10:25 to 11:10 a.m. Participants will be introduced to a variety of sports through co-operative activities and play. Younger siblings may participate but the activities are designed for the pre-school aged child and their guardian. This program is funded by the United Way of Lower Mainland.
• Baby’s First Year Drop-In. Fridays, through Dec. 16 from 1:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. This program offers information, conversation and support to families with new babies. Our roster of expert guest speakers is announced monthly. This program is funded by the United Way of Lower Mainland.
• French Conversation Club, for adults 19 years and older, is on the first and third Thursday of every month. This is a social, loosely structured group for adults who want to improve their French, converse with more ease, and meet other francophones. Focus on French with guest speakers, hot topics, group activities, resource and referral to other French activities in and around the Lower Mainland. Bonus: availability of French volunteers to assist you as your learn French.
• Therapeutic Touch, Fridays, through Dec. 16 from 2 to 4 p.m. The Tri Cities BCTTN Practice Group is made up of Therapeutic Touch practitioners from Crossroads Hospice in Port Moody. They need practice so they are offering their time and technique to Place Maillardville patrons. Treatments last anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. To learn more about therapeutic touch, please visit the provincial governing body at www.bctherapeutictouch.com/
• Money Skills: Financial Literacy, Saturdays, Nov. 5, 12 and 26 from 12:30 to 3 p.m. Offered through the Family Services of Greater Vancouver, this workshop is designed to help adults increase their knowledge and confidence in the tasks of daily money management. Topics include budgeting, banking, credit and consumerism.
• Seniors’ Whist Drop-In, Tuesdays, through Dec. 20, from 12:30 to 3 p.m. It is open to adults 55 years and older, and provides a social and strategic time for all.
Child-minding is provided for the children of adults participating in adult fitness programs.
• Edible Landscape: Fall and Winter Planting, Saturdays, 1 to 2 p.m. Participants get to keep their containers and plantings. All garden tools and supplies provided by GardenWorks of Burnaby: Oct. 8, a discussion on plant problems, causes and solutions; Oct. 22, herb garden in a pot, make a planter to take home for indoors or out.
• Halloween Spooktacular: A spooktacular time for the whole family with scary stories, crafts and co-operative games, ideal for children two to eight years old. Be sure to dress in costume. Children must be accompanied by an adult. This is a bilingual event and takes place Saturday, Oct. 29 from 1 to 3 p.m. in the Heritage Room. Cost is $5.
• Breakfast with Santa. Join Santa for pancakes and sausages. Enjoy carols, crafts and games. This is a bilingual event and all children must be accompanied by an adult. Offered in partnership with Centre Bel Âge. Food prepared and served by Maillardville Lions. It takes place Saturday, Dec. 3 from 9 a.m. to noon in the Heritage Room. Cost is $15 per family, $5 per adult or $3 per child.
For more information, visit www.placemaillardville.ca