Free and low-cost programming at Place Maillardville
Place Maillardville, located at 1200 Cartier Ave. in Coquitlam, offers the following free programs for families:
• Family Drop-In, through Dec. 21. Ideal for pre-school age children and their guardians, this program offers free play, crafts, games, songs, circle and story time. Drop in three times a week: Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 12 noon, Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:15 to 11:15 a.m. This program is funded by the United Way of Lower Mainland.
• Family Drop-In Sports at Alderson elementary school, Thursdays, through Dec. 8 from 10:25 to 11:10 a.m. Participants will be introduced to a variety of sports through co-operative activities and play. Younger siblings may participate but the activities are designed for the pre-school aged child and their guardian. This program is funded by the United Way of Lower Mainland.
• French Conversation Club, for adults 19 years and older, is on the first and third Thursday of every month. This is a social, loosely structured group for adults who want to improve their French, converse with more ease, and meet other francophones. Focus on French with guest speakers, hot topics, group activities, resource and referral to other French activities in and around the Lower Mainland. Bonus: availability of French volunteers to assist you as your learn French.
• Therapeutic Touch, Fridays, through Dec. 16 from 2 to 4 p.m. The Tri-Cities BCTTN Practice Group is made up of Therapeutic Touch practitioners from Crossroads Hospice in Port Moody. They need practice so they are offering their time and technique to Place Maillardville patrons. Treatments last anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes. To learn more about therapeutic touch, please visit the provincial governing body at www.bctherapeutictouch.com.
• Seniors’ Whist Drop-In, Tuesdays, through Dec. 20, from 12:30 to 3 p.m. It is open to adults 55 years and older, and provides a social and strategic time for all.
Child-minding is provided for the children of adults participating in adult fitness programs.
For more information, visit www.placemaillardville.ca.