UPDATED: Give Share a hand this holiday season
Volunteering for a local charity can make the holiday season extra special.
This year, Share Family and Community Services will be providing plenty of opportunities for people to give of their time to help others less fortunate. Last year, for example, Last Christmas, Share registered 1,749 households for Christmas hampers and the social service agency expects tol register even more families this season.
Here are two upcoming events where volunteers are needed:
• Unwrapped - A Charitable Night of Shopping at Coquitlam Centre. On Tuesday, Nov. 20 from 7 to 10:30 p.m., Coquitlam Centre will be hosting a fun holiday event with fashion, savings and tasty treats. Share is looking for energetic volunteers who are comfortable being around people to help out with this event. Volunteers must be 19 years or older to participate. Contact Heather Stacey at 604-529-5107 or email email@example.com
• Gift Wrap and Share Christmas Tree at Coquitlam Centre - Volunteers are once again needed to help out with the annual by-donation gift wrap and gift tree at Coquitlam Centre. The program opens Nov. 30 and over 800 shifts needed to be filled for this important event supporting the Share Toy Shoppe and other programs. Volunteers must be 16 years or older and those interest in helping out should call Ruth at 604-529-5104.
OTHER VOLUNTEER POSTINGS
• Office Assistance: Greet donors, accept and record donations at the front counter, answer phones, photocopy and other office duties.
• Christmas Hamper Packing: Put together food hampers (small, medium, and large) and must be able to lift heavy boxes.
• Food Sorting: Sort food donations into categories. Involves organizing food donations, labelling and weighing food, lifting and carrying boxes, maintaining a clean work area and recycling boxes.
• Truck Drivers- Pick-up food and toy donations, load and unload food boxes, ensure trucks are in good condition, and assist with stocking and inventory.
• Toy Shop: Sort and process toy donations. This is a warehouse environment and does require some heavy lifting. Volunteers are also needed to assist families during the Toy Shop visits.
To volunteer with the Food Bank, please call 604-931-2451, or email Jeremy at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information please go to www.sharesociety.ca