• Evergreen Cultural Centre: Kovan Photo Club, Light on the Mind, to Jan. 7.
• Place des Arts: Kwai Sang Wong, When Imagination Meets Clay; Rachael Ashe, Transforming the Book, Jan. 5-28, and Karin Vengshoel, Expansions, Jan. 5 - Feb. 25. Opening reception Jan. 5 at 7 p.m.
• Leigh Square Community Arts Village: Alcuin Society Awards for Excellence for Book Design in Canada, Marcus Fahrner - Uncovering the Book, Dec. 2-Jan. 16.
• Port Moody Arts Centre: Marilyn Hunt’s Magnified Simplicity, Blackberry Artists Society’s Christmas Marketplace, Alison Keenan’s Street Dance: A record of public performances, and Silent Auction’s 6x6 Claywork, until Dec. 23.
• Port Moody Public Library: Judith Atkinson paintings and mixed media.
• Port Coquitlam city hall: Art Focus artists Doris Patko and Maria Moreira.
• Vancity at Suter Brook Village: ArtsConnect’s featured artist Joy Kirkwood.
• Dec. 31: QuiRING in the New Year with the Quiring Chamber Players, with special guests Catherine French and Joel Moerschel, at 8 p.m. at the Evergreen Cultural Centre.
• Dec. 31: Hot Salsa Dance Zone hosts a dance party at Evergreen Cultural Centre, 9 p.m. to 2 a.m., with champagne at midnight. Tickets are $45 (by Dec. 30) or $55 at the door. Visit www.hotsalsadancezone.com.
• Jan. 1: Start 2012 off at the annual Penguin Plunge, noon at Rocky Point Park in Port Moody. Visitportmoody.ca.
• Jan. 3, 17, 31: Off the Grid - Improvised Music Series runs 7 to 9 p.m. at the Gathering Place at Leigh Square. Visit www.portcoquitlam.ca/arts.
• Jan. 12: Sacred Economics: An evening with Charles Eisenstein, presented by Kushala Yoga, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at #303-130 Brew St., Port Moody; kushalayoga.com.
• Jan. 12: Mackin House Museum discusses A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini, at 2 p.m. Call 604-516-6151 or visit www.coquitlamheritage.ca.
• Jan. 12-15 and Jan. 18-21: A Talent for Murder, a “whodunit” by Stage 43 Theatrical Society, is at the Evergreen Cultural Centre. Call 604-927-6555 or see stage43.org.
• Jan. 19-22: Undiscovered Theatre presents John and Jen at the Port Moody Inlet Theatre. Visit www.undiscoveredtheatre.com.
• Jan. 13: Port Moody Film Society presents MicMacs (France, comedy/crime) at 7:30 p.m. at the Port Moody Inlet Theatre. Visit www.pmfilm.ca.