BOOKS PLUS: Celebrate new year
The Coquitlam Public Library is celebrating Lunar New Year, the Year of the Dragon, with a concert Wednesday, Feb. 8 from 7-8 p.m. at the Poirier Branch, Nancy Bennett Room. Members from the Arts Musical Studio will perform traditional Chinese music to welcome the arrival of spring and the new year. Come and enjoy the festive music. Registration is required as seats are limited. For more information or to register, please phone Shirley at 604-937-3221
• Family Literacy Day
You can celebrate literacy and learning by completing the easy, fun activities listed in the Journey to Learning Passport. The passport takes you and your children on a learning journey, “at home”, “around town” and “around the world.” This free passport is available at the library or can be downloaded. To download the passport or more activity ideas and to register your passport please visit www.FamilyLiteracyDay.ca
• Family Fun Night - Drop-in
Kids aged 3-6 can drop in to our Family Fun Night craft program. On Tuesday, Jan. 31, join us from 6:30-7:30 p.m. in the Parklane room. Families will do a craft, listen to stories, and learn songs and rhymes. Parents will take home easy ideas and activities to help get their preschooler ready for kindergarten.
• Ex Libris Talking Book Club
This discussion group is primarily for print-disabled or visually impaired persons, however everyone is welcome. The next meeting will be on Friday, Feb. 3 from 11 a.m..-12:30 p.m. in the ParkLane Room. The book under discussion will be The Sad Truth About Happiness by Anne Giardini. Set in Vancouver, this book tells the story of 32 year-old radiation technologist named Maggie. Maggie pretests a quiz that is supposed to predict life expectancy and is told she only has months to live unless she finds happiness. But how does one go about that when life is so unpredictable?
For more information about these and other programs or services, visit library.portmoody.ca or call/drop by the library. Port Moody Public Library, 100 Newport Drive in the city hall complex (604-469-4577)
•Did you get an eReader for Christmas, or are you thinking of buying one?
• Did you know that FVRL offers a great selection of free eBooks that can be downloaded to your computer or transferred to a portable device?
• Join library staff for a demonstration of how to download from Overdrive and a discussion of which devices are compatible.
• Have a look at a selection of popular eReaders. Bring your questions, Saturday, Feb. 4, 2– 3:30 p.m.
• What’s your next project?
• We can help you plan your next trip, start a new craft project or work on your boat engine.
• Whatever your next project is we have friendly staff waiting to help you find project ideas, research your project and find the best online resources. Ask us!
• For more information, visit www.fvrl.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.