BOOKS PLUS: Tri-City libraries serve adult learners
Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
• Adult Learner Book Club: CPL has a new book club for adults learning English that meets next Monday, March 12 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Poirier branch. If you read English at a beginner to intermediate level and want to practise reading and conversation skills, then why not try our book club? The program is free and no registration is required — just drop-in. For more information, email Janice Williams at email@example.com.
• Game Day at the Library: Children aged five years and older can take part in a fun afternoon of board games with friends. The library will provide games such as Monopoly, Connect, Froggy Boogie, Snakes and Ladders, Zingo and more. This program is a drop-in and no registration is required. It runs Wednesday, March 21 from 1:30 to 3 p.m.
• Screening Mammography Program: The screening mammography mobile service will be in the Nancy Bennett Room at the Poirier branch on Friday, March 23 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturday, March 24 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Phone 604-877-6187 to book an appointment. No doctor’s referral is needed for women ages 40 to 79 years.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.library.coquitlam.bc.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 3000 Burlington Dr. and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• March is World Cultures Month: Celebrate diversity by dropping by the library and having a look at the multicultural book display in the Terry Fox reading area. You can enter a contest to win a prize — there’s one for kids and one for adults. Terry Fox librarians can show you how to explore different cultures through world music, travel books and magazines. The library is also the place to go when you want to learn a language or find recipes from around the world.
As well, TFL staff can show you how use your library card to explore 35 online databases, e-books from Library to Go and Netlibrary; and access free online homework help for kids in Grades 6 to 12.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.
• Adult Learners Book Club: This book discussion group is for readers who are learning English. It meets once a month to discuss a book written in simple language. At the March 14 meeting, New Year’s Eve by Marina Endicott will be discussed. This short and easy to read novel is about Dixie and her RCMP officer husband Grady. One night, they are caught in a blizzard and find refuge in a friend’s house. Grady and the other man, Ron, also a RCMP officer, go off to work while the wives spend the evening talking. Dixie learns about love, marriage and the importance of her relationship with Grady and their young daughter. This is a good opportunity to read more, practise English conversation and make new friends. All adult learners including ESL are welcome.
• Consumer information: Your library card provides you with free, 24/7 access to impartial and in-depth evaluations of consumer products. Start your search from the PMPL website using the Digital Content button and check out these two great resources: consumerreports.com, which offers ratings and recommendations on thousands of products and services in categories such as appliances, cars, electronics and computers, home and garden, health and fitness, babies and kids, food, personal finance and travel; MasterFILE Premier covers virtually every subject area of general interest and includes full text for nearly 1,700 magazines.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.