- BC Games
BOOKS PLUS: Celebrate the season, coffee talk and Xmas shopping
Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
• Celebrate the Season: Are you and your family tired of the seasonal hype? Fed up with the commercial messages? At PMPL’s annual holiday celebration, you can relax along with your neighbours in a low-key, family-friendly atmosphere. Join library staff for festive stories, sing-along carols and a special guest. You don’t even need to know the words to the carols because they will be projected onto a big screen). All this merriment will take place in the Inlet Theatre on Thursday, Dec. 20 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Afterwards in the Galleria, you can enjoy some tasty refreshments courtesy of the library. No registration required.
• Get Your New Kids’ Card: Almost 10,000 votes were cast by kids during Port Moody Public Library’s children’s card contest. Children 12 and younger can visit the library and get a free new library card, or swap their existing card for the new design. As a bonus, kids who drop in to pick up their new library card in December will be entered in a weekly book draw.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Coffee Mug Club: You can join Terry Fox Library’s book club and connect with other book lovers. Participants are invited to enjoy some informal fun and thought-provoking discussion as they explore new authors and share reading ideas. Members are currently reading Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett, a memoir of Patchett’s intense friendship with author Lucy Grealy. (Synopsis: Patchett met Grealy when they were both graduate students and they lived together because neither of them could afford an apartment of her own. Patchett writes the story of a complex relationship that lasted nearly 20 years in a frank and intimate way that leads us to think about our own deep friendships.) The next meeting is Wednesday, Dec. 19, 7 to 8 p.m. New members are welcome.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.
• Ho, ho, ho!: Santa recommends the 2013 Book Lover’s Calendar for your all your favourite readers. They cost just $10 each and the proceeds will be used to buy equipment for the new City Centre branch and other library programs.
• Christmas hours: CPL’s two branches will have altered hours over the holiday period and will be closed on Christmas, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day and Sunday, Dec. 30; other hours: Dec. 24 and 31, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Regular hours will apply on all other days. Also: The book bus will not be at Tri-City Family Place on Dec. 27 or at Cottonwood Park on Dec. 29.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.library.coquitlam.bc.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 3000 Burlington Dr. and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.