- BC Games
BOOKS PLUS: Patrons young and old have something to do at Tri-City libraries
Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
• Grow-A-Reader pre-natal storytime: Remember all those stories, rhymes and songs you loved as a child? Terry Fox Library presents its popular pre-natal storytime series. Connect with others and experience the fun of learning a selection of the best rhymes, songs and stories to use in play with new babies. Research shows that there is an amazing connection between baby brain development and the role of books, the sound of nursery rhymes and the power of songs. Furthermore, parents play a vital role in their child’s development when they read and play with their babies. Participants will meet other parents with babies on the way on the fourth Saturday of each month from January through April, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Expectant parents are welcome.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.
• Adult Learners Book Club (drop-in): The Adult Learners Book Club meets once a month to talk about a book written in simple language. The next meeting is on Wednesday, Jan. 9 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. This is an opportunity to read and speak more English in a friendly setting. All adult learners, including those for whom English is their second language, are welcome.
• Share English practice groups for adults (drop-in): Want to improve your English? Then come to the library’s ParkLane Room on Fridays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Join other English learners in this free program put on by Share Family and Community Services. You will get to practise English, make new friends and find out about your community.
• eBooks Workshop (registration required): Call PoMo library at 604-469-4577 to reserve a seat in a free 90-minute workshop. There are two sessions being offered on Tuesday, Jan. 8 from 2:30 to 4 p.m. or from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Bring in your eReader (Kindles excluded) and learn how to download free eBooks from the library.
• Tech Café: Got a new electronic gadget and need help figuring out how it works? Free one-on-one help with your basic computer questions is available at PoMo library. Drop by the ParkLane Room from 4 to 5:30 p.m. on Fridays, Jan. 4 to Feb. 8 and meet friendly, knowledgeable teen volunteers. They will help you explore simple computer issues like mousing, saving and moving files or opening an email account. You can also find out how to use Facebook and other social media or get help with your smartphone.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.