- BC Games
SIGN ME UP: Substance abuse topics covered in Share series
Share Family and Community Services’ Alcohol and Drug Program invites you to attend any or all of its latest education series.
The program, which started on Wednesday, is open to everyone in the community and features information for those who have an alcohol or drug problem or for those concerned about their use. It will help those people affected by others’ use, to understand addicts and addictive behaviour.
There is no cost for this group, where the format consists of a video, a brief presentation and open discussion. Topics will vary from week to week as outlined below:
• Jan. 16: Medical aspects and effects of alcohol and drug abuse. What happens to the body and mind under the influence.
• Jan. 23: Alcohol — How dependence develops; controlled using; effects on pregnant women.
• Jan. 30: Cocaine and crystal meth — the struggle to recover, and what long-term recovery looks like.
• Feb. 6: Relapse prevention — discussion on the psychological, emotional and physical aspects of relapsing and what can be done.
• Feb. 13: Stress — learning how to cope with little and big problems without using.
• Feb. 20: Anger — understanding your anger and learning how to manage it more effectively.
• Feb. 27: Trauma — How substance misuse often occurs with people who have experienced childhood abuse. How these experiences may cause relapses or continued misuse.
• March 6: Drinking, Drugs and Driving — How the new laws will affect you. You will learn about blood alcohol levels, the .05 determining impaired drivers. We will also discuss how drugs impair our judgement.
• March 13: Mental Illness, Depression and Addiction — Many people have a substance problem and are coping with mental issues. Understanding the links between the two issues will be tonight’s goal.
• March 20: Substance Affected — How others’ misuse or abuse of alcohol and drugs affects us. How to help others.
• March 27: Stage 2 Recovery — life in the future.
Classes run Wednesdays from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Share, second floor, 2615 Clarke St., Port Moody. For more information, phone 604-936-3900.