- BC Games
BOOKS PLUS: Blogging, singing, mousing
Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
• Calling all young bloggers: If you are 12 years old or younger, CPL wants to hear from you. Write five or six sentences about your favourite book, movie or CD and send it to the Coquitlam Public Library’s blog I Was Told There’d Be Cake. If your entry is chosen, it will be posted on the library website and you will win a prize. Include your name, age and a telephone number or email address, and submit your short review to the information desks of the Poirier or City Centre branches, or email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Red Cedar Reading Group: Each year, Canadian authors and illustrators create wonderful books for children, some meant to entertain, others to educate. As a Red Cedar reader, your job is to read as many as you can and decide which are best. For kids in Grades 4 to 7, the Red Cedar Reading Group will meet every three weeks through April, discussing books and conducting cool — or sometimes strange — activities related to them. Running from 3:45 to 4:30 p.m., the meetings will be on Jan. 25, Feb. 15, March 8, April 5 and 19. Meetings will be in the Nancy Bennett Room at the Poirier branch and will be hosted by a librarian (Chris) and a children’s assistant (Ashley). To register, email Chris Miller at email@example.com. The Red Cedar Young Readers’ Choice Awards are given annually to the authors and illustrators of the best Canadian children’s books, as chosen by kids in B.C. For a full list of the nominees, go to www.redcedaraward.ca.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.library.coquitlam.bc.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 3000 Burlington Dr. and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Teen movie afternoons: It’s movie time for teens at Terry Fox Library. Chase away those winter blahs while watching the award winning Batman trilogy. Enjoy an afternoon of food and fun on the first Saturday of each month starting in February. Grab a friend and join Fox librarians for: Batman Begins (PG), Feb. 2; The Dark Knight, March 2 (14A); and The Dark Knight Rises, April 6 (PG). All showings are from 2 to 4 p.m. Sign up by calling 604-927-7999.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.
• Baby Sing and Learn (drop-in): Baby Sing and Learn encourages bonding and promotes early speech and language development. Join PoMo librarians on Thursdays from Jan. 24 to May 30 for this interactive program of songs, rhymes and books. There are two sessions to choose from: 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. or 2 to 2:45 p.m. This program is appropriate for parents/caregivers and their newborn to 18-month-old babies.
• New session of Mousercize (registration required): Here is another opportunity to join library staff for a popular program. On Tuesday, Jan. 22 from 2 to 3 p.m. or 7 to 8 p.m., you can learn how to use a mouse and familiarize yourself with the computer keyboard in a relaxed setting. Space is limited. Call 604-469-4577 to reserve a computer.
• Pre-school Storytime has moved to a new day (drop-in): Starting on Jan. 21, you can join librarians on Mondays from 10 to 10:30 a.m. in the PMPL Storytelling Circle for Pre-school Storytime. Help your 18-month- to five-year-old child get ready to read with stories and songs. The earlier you expose a child to language, song and rhyme, the better. Storytime is a fun way to help children build vocabulary, develop fine and gross motor skills, develop social skills, learn how to participate in a group setting and form a positive association with books and learning. Research shows that all these activities encourage healthy brain development. This program runs until May 27.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.