Get a free wheel lock
Police and ICBC are targeting auto theft in the Tri-Cities this week by providing free steering wheel locks to owners of vehicles determined to be at the highest risk for theft.
In Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam and Port Moody, the top three most commonly stolen vehicles are pre-2001 Honda Civics, Honda Accords and Jeep Cherokees, according to ICBC.
On Tuesday, the Coquitlam RCMP, Port Moody Police and ICBC crime prevention volunteers began giving out vouchers for free steering wheel locks — while supplies last — as well as anti-theft tips to owners of these and any pre-2001 vehicles not already equipped with an anti-theft device.
Residents can also get free steering wheel locks by bringing their pre-2001 vehicle registration to one of the following locations:
• Port Moody Police Station (3051 St. Johns St., Port Moody);
• Mary Hill community police station (2581 Mary Hill Road, PoCo);
• Coast Meridian community police station (3312 Coast Meridian Street, PoCo);
• Ridgeway community policing station (1059 Ridgeway Avenue, Coquitlam);
• Burquitlam community policing station (560 Clarke Road, Coquitlam).