- BC Games
Coquitlam to NW: Remember $65M
Coquitlam has sent a strong message to New Westminster on the eve of the last presentation for the United Boulevard Extension: Don’t give up the $65 million.
TransLink’s Sany Zein told Coquitlam’s engineering committee last week that the regional transportation agency would lose the Transport Canada funding if the Royal City council vetoed any more options for the road link.
“I don’t like using sledgehammers but that’s what you have to do with New Westminster,” Coun. Lou Sekora said after Zein spoke about TransLink’s plans to extend United Boulevard over the Brunette River and into New West, around the Braid Street SkyTrain station.
“It’s a long time coming and we need to think regionally,” Coun. Selina Robinson said, with Mayor Richard Stewart adding, “Both of our communities will be very angry if we let $65 million go.”
Last year, New West city council supported Option A — a T-intersection that would link Brunette Avenue in New West to Coquitlam’s United Boulevard — but Royal City residents’ input at public meetings convinced council that none of the options were good to ease the choke point.
New West then asked for further options, which TransLink will present tomorrow (Thursday) at the Sapperton Pensioners’ Hall (318 Keary St., New West) from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
The project is part of the North Fraser Perimeter Road, a planned four-lane truck route that would link the Queensborough Bridge with the Golden Ears Bridge in Maple Ridge.