News

Coquitlam thief gets 2.5 years

A Coquitlam man will spend another 31 months in prison for his role in a home invasion last year in Anmore.  - TRI-CITY NEWS FILE PHOTO
A Coquitlam man will spend another 31 months in prison for his role in a home invasion last year in Anmore.
— image credit: TRI-CITY NEWS FILE PHOTO

A Coquitlam man will spend another 31 months in prison for his role in a home invasion last year in Anmore.

The accused, who is referred to as M.S.B. in court documents because his name is protected under a publication ban, pleaded guilty to robbery and using an imitation firearm while committing an offence.

On top of the two-year, seven-month sentence, he will also have to submit a DNA sample and is prohibited from possessing a firearm for 10 years.

The convictions stem from an incident in September of last year, when M.S.B. and an accomplice barged into an Anmore house after a 17-year-old resident, expecting a friend, answered a knock at the door.

M.S.B. pointed an imitation handgun at the chest of the teen before going downstairs to the family's safe, where he retrieved between $13,000 and $15,000 in cash. Ammunition and several firearms stored in the safe were left behind.

In the reasons for sentence, Madam Justice Marion Buller Bennett wrote M.S.B. needed the money to pay a drug debt.

The accused had been using OxyContin for about six months prior to the offence and believed his family would be in danger if he did not "do as he was told," Bennett wrote. She added that M.S.B. did not choose the victims.

The 22-year-old accused has prior convictions from youth court, including a robbery in 2006 and a manslaughter conviction in 2008. The home invasion in Anmore was M.S.B.'s first conviction as an adult.

Bennett also noted that M.S.B. has shown remorse throughout the proceedings and offered to plead guilty early in the process, although his counsel advised him that a trial would be more appropriate.

"He does have insight into the nature of his offence and the effects of his offences on the people involved," she said. "He is very sorry for what he did do."

M.S.B. was sentenced to three years in prison but received credit for five months for time served in pre-trial custody.

gmckenna@tricitynews.com

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Loud and busy on Halloween
 
Mundy Park picnic fire a suspected arson, says Coquitlam RCMP
 
Woman dies in Coquitlam apartment fire
Rib fest volunteers no problem — Port Moody Rotary
 
ELECTION 2014: Video for Erhan Demirkaya, Port Coquitlam council
 
Container recycling lags in Metro Vancouver
Shooting on 12th Street
 
Child ejected as Surrey collision shears car in half
 
Optimism after meeting in Victoria to discuss Willoughby school challenges

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 29 edition online now. Browse the archives.