Coquitlam stabbing victim expected to recover
A 19-year-old Maple Ridge man who was stabbed at the Coquitlam Station bus loop last week is out of the intensive care unit and expected to recover.
RCMP Cpl. Jamie Chung told The Tri-City News Monday that police have been able to interview the victim and have some leads into who was involved in the attack.
"We have a description," he said. "We have a pretty good idea but at this time we are not able to disclose any information."
The incident happened shortly after midnight Thursday and the the transit exchange was still closed when commuters began their morning commute. A parking lot at the Pinetree Village shopping centre next to the A&W was also closed because police believed the suspect may have fled in that direction.
Chung could not release any motive for the attack but he said investigators do not believe the altercation was gang related. He added that police are searching for only one suspect.
"We are actively pursuing the person involved," he said. "As for the motive, we don't know at this point."
Buses were re-routed Thrusday morning to the south side of the Coquitlam Centre mall parking area while police photographed the crime scene and gathered evidence. Service was returned to normal by 11 a.m.
More than 15 different bus lines go through the Coquitlam Station exchange carrying hundreds of passengers at any given time. While operations at the West Coast Express station were not impacted by the closure much of the traffic migrated to the park and ride at the Port Moody station.