News

Port Moody man facing charges in Stanley Cup riot

As the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup playoff series gets underway police in Vancouver are still doling out charges related to the riot that took place after last year
As the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup playoff series gets underway police in Vancouver are still doling out charges related to the riot that took place after last year's final.
— image credit: BLACK PRESS FILE PHOTO

As the 2012 Stanley Cup series gets underway, police are still doling out charges related to the riot in Vancouver after last year's playoff final.

Patrick Judge, a Port Moody resident, is the latest to have charges approved against him by Crown prosecutors. The 25-year-old is facing one count of participating in a riot, one count of break and enter and two counts of mischief.

Judge allegedly threw a newspaper box through the window of a clothing store. He was later observed vandalizing a Mini Cooper parked in the 500-block of W. Georgia Street, before attempting to light a couch on fire.

Later he was allegedly seen committing a break-and-enter at a drug store.

Judge was included among a list of names of people with recently approved charges and police said more names are on the way.

"This isn't over," said Const. Lindsey Houghton, the spokesperson for the Vancouver Police Department. "We fully expect more charges to be recommended."

Judge is not the only Tri-City resident to face charges in last year's riot.

A young offender in Coquitlam was charged in April with participating in a riot and mischief, while another was charged with participating in a riot and break and enter. The two cannot be named because they are are young offenders.

Ryan Dickinson, another Coquitlam resident who was on probation at the time, received a 17-month jail sentence for his part in the riot.

Crown also approved charges against a young offender from Port Coquitlam.

Last month the Vancouver Police Department announced that it has surpassed the 500th charge recommended against Stanley Cup rioters.

To date, police have recommended 508 charges against 175 rioters and Crown has officially laid 244 charges against 91 rioters.

While the process has been a lengthy one, Houghton said police must follow proper protocols with their investigation.

"We have to weigh everything and do it the right way," he said. "Certainly, the charges that have been laid are very serious and we are starting to see more people plead guilty."

A campaign involving Facebook ads was also launched last month that police said reaches up to 160,000 viewers a day. The ads appear on Facebook profiles of 15 to 27 year olds who live in the Lower Mainland, Kamloops, Victoria, Nanaimo and Prince George.

Police have also been distributing flyers with photos of unidentified rioters, encouraging the public to come forward and identify the suspects.

gmckenna@tricitynews.com

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

A lesson in music history
 
Original art in bloom at Port Moody art show
 
What we wore
Images of Pakistan, India at Port Moody Library
 
Top PdA students perform at awards gala this weekend
 
The joys of volunteering explored
Back Country Horsemen of B.C.
 
Cigarette smuggler fined $3,380
 
Solemate explores relationships through shoes

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 29 edition online now. Browse the archives.