News

Coquitlam fire leaves four people homeless

Four people are homeless after fire ripped through a Burke Mountain residence shortly after 3:30 a.m. Friday morning.  - SUBMITTED PHOTO
Four people are homeless after fire ripped through a Burke Mountain residence shortly after 3:30 a.m. Friday morning.
— image credit: SUBMITTED PHOTO

Four people are homeless after fire ripped through a Westwood Plateau residence shortly after 3:30 a.m. Friday morning.

Fire crews believe a barbecue or possibly some lit candles on the back deck of a Cliffrose Crescent home are responsible for the blaze, which torched most of the main floor and did significant damage to a basement suite.

Coquitlam fire chief Tony Delmonico said the fire burned extremely hot and four neighbouring houses were also damaged.

"They all had vinyl siding that was damaged," he said. "It was so hot that one of the windows cracked and a skylight melted as well."

By the time crews arrived the home was fully engulfed, with flames coming out of the roof and all four sides of the building.

It took firefighters about 30 minutes to contain the blaze and members were just returning to the hall at around noon on Friday.

Delmonico said preliminary estimates pegged the damage at more than $300,000 for the home where the fire started and about $5,000 to $10,000 for the neighbouring structures.

Two people lived on the main floor of the home and two more lived in a basement suite on the property. Nobody was hurt in the blaze.

With the warmer weather Delmonico said fires from barbecues, tiki torches and backyard candles become more prevalent.

Residents should be certain that all flames are properly extinguished before putting them away. Barbecues should also be in proper working order and propane tanks should not be left in the sun.

gmckenna@tricitynews.com

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

School District 43 ready for food waste ban
 
Check out the Christmas light displays in the Tri-Cities this weekend
 
New accounting system for School District 43 may make life easier for parents, too
RCMP seeks public help in solving arson
 
Province okays transit tax referendum question, with some tweaks
 
LNG push holding up northwestern B.C. treaty talks
Attackers might not have been lone wolves: PM
 
Church of England appoints first female bishop
 
Voyeur sentenced to $500 fine, community service

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.