News

Bartender: Sater had been cut off the night of deadly Coquitlam crash

Charlene Reaveley, left, was assisting another motorist, Lorraine Cruz, right, who had been involved in a minor accident, when they were both struck by a passing vehicle. - TRI-CITY NEWS FILE PHOTO
Charlene Reaveley, left, was assisting another motorist, Lorraine Cruz, right, who had been involved in a minor accident, when they were both struck by a passing vehicle.
— image credit: TRI-CITY NEWS FILE PHOTO

The bartender who served Cory Sater the night he was allegedly involved in a hit-and-run crash that killed two people testified Friday that Sater had been cut off at the bar.

Louise Richez, who was a bartender at the Lougheed Village Pub on Feb. 18, 2011, told the court she had served Sater three double rye and cokes and a Jägerbomb — a mix of Jägermeister and Red Bull. She added that her colleague, bartender Donna Haldane, had also been serving Sater when the two decided to cut him off.

"He was getting a bit hyperactive, louder," Richez said. "I didn't have too many problems with him. Just by me watching him, he had had enough.

"Yes, he was intoxicated," she added.

When Crown counsel Chris McPherson asked the witness whether she believed Sater was safe to drive at that point, she said "no."

Defence lawyer Rishi Gill jumped on the witness' statement, saying if Sater was as intoxicated as she said, she would have called him a cab.

She responded by telling the court that she assumed that Sater would be going to the residence of Troy McClure, the man with whom Sater had been drinking, and who she knew lived in the Lougheed Village neighbourhood.

"Apparently, I made a bad assumption," she said.

Sater eventually left the establishment with Lloyd Smith. The two intended to go to Sater's home in Coquitlam, retrieve some money and find another bar.

Smith previously testified that the pair were returning to the Lougheed Highway and North Road area when the collision occurred.

Charlene Reaveley, a Port Coquitlam mother of four, and Lorraine Cruz were killed instantly in the crash and Cruz's boyfriend Paulo Calimbahin suffered serious injuries.

The trial continues.

gmckenna@tricitynews.com

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Future of Fremont in Port Coquitlam revolves around Coquitlam traffic
 
Dominion proposal includes a church
 
PoCo latest city to ban pesticides
Public art policy goes public
 
UPDATED: Teachers get paid for back-to-school prep day
 
Surrey RCMP seek car theft suspects
UPDATE: Commissioner calls off hearing into New Westminster police-involved shooting
 
Forum fuels insight
 
MP Hiebert defends reactive changes to his bill

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.