News

SATER TRIAL: Sater pleads guilty to leaving scene of fatal accident but other charges still to be decided

Charlene Reaveley, left, was assisting another motorist, Lorraine Cruz, right, who had been involved in a minor accident, when they were both struck by a passing vehicle. - TRI-CITY NEWS FILE PHOTO
Charlene Reaveley, left, was assisting another motorist, Lorraine Cruz, right, who had been involved in a minor accident, when they were both struck by a passing vehicle.
— image credit: TRI-CITY NEWS FILE PHOTO

The man accused of killing two women in a deadly hit-and-run in 2011 has pleaded guilty to one of the seven counts he is facing.

On Wednesday morning, Cory Sater reversed his not guilty plea on one count of fleeing the scene of an accident.

He is still facing six charges related to the collision, including two counts each of impaired driving causing death and dangerous driving causing death in a collision that killed Charlene Reaveley and Lorraine Cruz. He is also facing one count of dangerous driving causing injury and one count of impaired driving causing injury related to Paulo Calimbahin, who lost his leg in the crash.

Sater's decision to reverse his plea came on the day both the Crown and defence lawyers began their closing statements.

Friends and family of Reaveley and Cruz packed the BC Supreme Court Room 209 in New Westminster, some wearing pictures of the victims and stickers that said "justice."

In the morning session, Crown counsel Chris McPherson summarized the evidence against Sater, saying the accused made a deliberate choice to drink and drive in the time leading up the collision.

The fact that he did not slow down and left the scene after indicates that Sater was not simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, he told the court.

"He doesn't even touch his brakes," McPherson said. "A person puts their brakes on when they hit something, let alone a car and... two people."

The defence was expected to present its side of the case in closing remarks Wednesday afternoon.

The trial continues…

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Dominion proposal includes a church
 
PoCo latest city to ban pesticides
 
Count on math in his future
Coquitlam street racer has high-end car impounded
 
Zumba class raises money for Philippine flood
 
‘I want to empower you’
Port Moody sets out growth plan in adopted official community plan
 
ELECTION 2014: Endorsements for Port Coquitlam candidates
 
Organics ban may pay off for Port Coquitlam

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.