- BC Games
Meetings set to discuss future of school properties
Here are the schools and meeting dates for four School District 43 properties up for discussion:
Coronation Park elementary
135 Balmoral Dr., Port Moody
• School built in 1963 and closed in 2005. Site is near the Evergreen Line, has development potential. Site is 8.3 acres and is not anticipated for future use as a school. The school building is in a dilapidated state.
2717 St. Johns St., Port Moody
• School has capacity for 250 students but with Evergreen Line, could soon become over capacity at the same time it needs $3 million in immediate repairs and $10 million for seismic upgrades.The school could be upgraded, replaced or relocated.
1563 Regan Ave., Coquitlam
• No plans are being considered for the school; only 1.3 acres on the school's northeast boundary are under consideration for development. This is the second consultation for the property at the request of the city of Coquitlam, which it requires before any changes are made to rezoning or the official community plan.
3445 Victoria Dr., Coquitlam
School District 43 owns .83 acres — the equivalent of nine building lots— on the southeast portion of this park, which was the site of a school from 1916 to 1964, demolished in 1968. The area is owned by SD43 but has been used and designated as parkland in city of Coquitlam community plans.
• Public open house Tuesday, Oct. 29, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in Moody middle school gym;
• Workshop 1 (Moody), Nov. 19, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Moody middle school gym;
• Workshop 2 (Victoria Park), Nov. 19, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Leigh elementary;
• Workshop 3 (Coronation Park), Nov. 27, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Moody middle;
• Workshop 4 (Parkland), Nov. 28, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Parkland elementary.
Money from land sales cannot go to operate schools but can be used for capital projects.
More information is available on the district's website.