- BC Games
Fire causes evacuation at Port Coquitlam Dairy Queen
A Dairy Queen employee suffered minor burns after a kitchen fire broke out at the restaurant chain's Port Coquitlam location on Tuesday night.
The incident occurred at around 4:30 p.m. and the Shaughnessy Street building that houses the restaurant was quickly evacuated.
PoCo fire chief Nick Delmonico said flames from the blaze were suppressed by an onsite extinguisher system and firefighters mostly had to deal with smoke issues after the arrived.
"The biggest thing wasn't really the fire but the air quality," he told The Tri-City News on Wednesday. "It wasn't overly huge. Essentially it was a small kitchen fire."
Delmonico was not sure the extent of the employee's injuries but said they were not serious or life-threatening.
Investigators believe the incident started when the deep-frier malfunctioned and overheated, causing a small grease fire.