- BC Games
Charlene Reaveley toy drive gets under way
The Charlene Reaveley Children's Charity Society will be collecting items for its third annual toy drive this month.
Between now and Dec. 20, shoppers at Canadian Tire's two Tri-City stores can purchase toys for kids, from infants to youths 14 years of age, and leave them in boxes. The items will then be distributed to children who have lost a loved one or are otherwise in need.
When handing out toys at the first annual event three years ago, Dan Reaveley, Charlene Reaveley's widowner, learned something about his late wife.
"People would come up to me and say, 'Your wife use to do this,'" he said. "I was so busy with work, I had no idea. For me its about keeping her legacy alive. It is a direct reflection of what Charlene was all about."
Charlene Reaveley, a mother of four, was one of two women killed in a hit and run collision on Lougheed Highway in February 2011. A decision in the trial against Cory Sater, the man allegedly behind the wheel of the vehicle that struck her, is expected on Jan. 3.
For more information about the toy drive and the Charlene Reaveley Children's Charity Society, go to www.crccs.ca.
Drop-off locations for the toy drive include:
• Canadian Tire locations: (1200 Sequin Drive, Coquitlam, 2125 Hawkins Street, Port Coquitlam, 11969-200 Street, Maple Ridge, 13665-120 Avenue, Surrey);
• Chomp Vegan Eatery (7 - 201 Morrissey Road, Port Moody);
• Jeong's Taekwondo (2 - 11968 223rd St., Maple Ridge);
• Yuen's Family Martial Arts (11393 Kingston Street, Maple Ridge);
• Maple Ridge Chrysler (11911 West Street, Maple Ridge);
• Maple Ridge Volkswagon (20279 Lougheed Hwy, Maple Ridge);
• Abbotsford Volkswagon (32835 South Fraser Way, Abbotsford);
• Chilliwack Volkswagon (44615 Yale Road West, Chilliwack);
• Craftsman Collision (11927-203 Street, Maple Ridge):
• and Woodwyant (201-185 Golden Drive, Coquitlam).