Coquitlam man charged in indecent exposure incident
A Coquitlam man was arrested this week in connection with an indecent exposure incident in September where he was allegedly seen masturbating in front of two Centennial secondary students.
James Malaska, 28, has been charged with one count of an indecent act and another count of exposing his genitals to a person under the age of 16. He has been released on strict conditions and will be back in court on Monday, Jan. 27.
In November, the Coquitlam RCMP released a statement saying that they were looking for a man who had been seen masturbating in an enclosed stairwell at the Coquitlam high school in early September. Two females spotted the suspect, who quickly fled the scene.
Police said at the time that a second similar incident had also occurred at Winslow Avenue and Tipton Street three weeks later. Malaska has only been charged in the first case.
"We have no reason to believe the two incidents are related," said Coquitlam RCMP Const. Jamie Philipson. "The second incident is still under investigation."
Malaska has been released from custody but is under strict conditions. He is not allowed near schools, playgrounds, parks, daycares or any public place where person under the age of 16 could be found. He may only leave his home to go to work, in the case of a medical emergency or while in the company of an adult.
Anyone with any information about the suspects is asked to call Cpl. Pat Mehain at 604-552-7369. Those who wish to provide information anonymously can do so by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or by going online at www.solvecrime.ca.