News

UPDATED: Two bailey bridges for Coquitlam to New West?

The province has offered to pay to replace the bailey bridge between Coquitlam and New Westminster, and pick up the costs for a second, temporary one-lane link. - tri-city newS FILE PHOTO
The province has offered to pay to replace the bailey bridge between Coquitlam and New Westminster, and pick up the costs for a second, temporary one-lane link.
— image credit: tri-city newS FILE PHOTO

The provincial government will pay for a new Bailey bridge between Coquitlam and New Westminster — but only if the Royal City allows the province to add a second one-lane span at the end of United Boulevard.

Yesterday, in a letter to New West Mayor Wayne Wright, B.C. Transportation Minister Todd Stone said his ministry will replace the now-closed bridge at no cost to the city.

If New West approves the project, it would solely be responsible for the existing bridge's installation and maintenance.

Further, the province would pick up the cost of a second temporary one-lane bridge to improve traffic flows and safety and that structure could be open later this year, Stone wrote.

In an interview with The Tri-City News yesterday, Stone said the two-bridge package is worth $2 million and Coquitlam would kick in another $800,000 for surrounding road and environmental works on its side.

Coquitlam Mayor Richard Stewart told The Tri-City News Stone's decision "puts in place a solution that we've been wanting all along. It's not perfect but it's better than what we have."

The two cities have been at loggerheads for years about the Bailey bridge, which shut down earlier this year because of structural problems. Nearly 10,000 vehicles a day used the bailey bridge when it was open.

Stone, who visited the site on March 18 and said he has not heard back from Mayor Wright, said the province has received stories about "near misses" from people trying to get to Royal Columbian Hospital on time, using the Bailey connector.

"This corridor is critical to the safety and well-being of people in the region," Stone said.

He added, "Nothing is being forced on New West here. This is completely up to New Westminster to make the decision as they see fit."

Coquitlam has asked the province for an arbitrator to look at a permanent two-lane replacement.

A call to the city of New Westminster was not returned by The Tri-City News' print deadline.

jwarren@tricitynews.com

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Container recycling lags in Metro Vancouver
 
Fill out The Tri-City News election survey
 
Sports groups pushing for a roof
Medical marijuana store proposed for Port Moody
 
Total crime up 21 per cent so far this year
 
Empty coal trains to continue travelling on lightly-used SRY line in North Langley until Nov. 30
Legion’s annual poppy campaign now in full bloom
 
Richmond records jump in advance voting
 
An Olympic dream interrupted

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 29 edition online now. Browse the archives.