Who's who in the principal's office in Coquitlam school district
Cost-cutting, retirements and other administrative moves at School District 43 have resulted in some changes in school administration, including the trimming of two vice-principal positions.
The changes mean some new faces will be in school offices when students return to classes in the fall.
But with teachers off the job and no resolution in sight, it remains an open question as to what the back-to-school routine will be in September.
For example, parents moving to the district can usually expect to register at their children's new school a week or so in advance of the scheduled Sept. 2 opening. But SD43 superintendent Tom Grant said last week he's still waiting to hear how that will play out and if the district should advertise, as it usually does, when, where and how kindergarten registration will take place.
Meanwhile, changes to school leadership were announced last week, providing a glimpse into how the district is handling some of its cost-cutting measures and the opening of a new middle school in Anmore. Four schools will be short an administrator when school opens in the fall: Moody middle, Panorama and Rochester elementary schools, and Terry Fox secondary.
Grant said the schools have slightly smaller populations than the norm and the remaining administration workload will have to be handled by a single principal at the elementary and middle schools and by a principal and two-vice principals at Terry Fox. Panorama will have 453 students in September, Rochester will have 421 and Terry Fox will have 1,396.
Grant said when high schools drop to 1,400 students, a vice-principal is typically subtracted.
Meanwhile, Moody middle school is essentially splitting in half due to the opening of the new Eagle Mountain middle school in Anmore (where there will be two administrators), leaving Moody with a single administrator for 250 to 300 students.
In all, the district will be down two administrators next year to save money. As well, there were four retirements in June: Mary O'Neill from Dr. Charles Best secondary, Brent Pattison from Porter Street elementary, John Speakman from Panorama Heights elementary and Craig Rietchell, who was acting vice-principal at Hillcrest middle.
Here are the administrative changes for the next school year:
• Elementary principals: Nicole Daneault moves from vice-principal at Kwayhquitlum middle to acting principal at Anmore elementary; Sarah Husband, district principal LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) to principal, Glen elementary; Ross Jacobsen from vice-principal, Terry Fox secondary to principal, Coquitlam River elementary; Andrea McComb from principal, Anmore elementary to principal, Blakeburn elementary; and Derek Passaglia from principal, Glen elementary to principal, Porter elementary.
• Elementary vice-principals: Shirly Bawa from acting vice-principal, Aspenwood elementary to vice-principal, Aspenwood elementary; and Cari-Lee Denton from vice-principal, Panorama Heights elementary to vice-principal, Walton elementary.
• Middle school principals: Steve Roos from vice-principal, Riverside secondary to principal, Pitt River middle; Elspeth Anjos from learning innovations co-ordinator to vice-principal, Como Lake middle; Ray Appel from vice-principal, Rochester elementary to vice-principal, Hillcrest middle; Daren Fridge from vice-principal, Port Moody secondary to vice-principal, Summit middle.
• Secondary principals: Carol Coulson from vice-principal, Dr. Charles Best secondary to principal at Best.
• Secondary vice-principal: Todd Clerkson from principal, Pitt River middle to vice-principal, Port Moody secondary; Jody Moss from teacher, student services to vice-principal, Heritage Woods secondary; Anita Young from teacher, student services to vice-principal, Heritage Woods secondary; Jill Reid from teacher, student services to vice-principal, Port Moody secondary; and Anita Young from teacher co-ordinator, student services to vice-principal, Best.
As well, administrative appointments include: Glen Conley moves from vice-principal of international education to principal, international education; Mike McGlenen moves from vice-principal, LINC to district principal, LINC; and Murray Peters moves from principal, Coquitlam River elementary to vice-principal, continuing education.