News

Quarry bid for Coquitlam is withdrawn

A controversial bid to test drill on Coquitlam's Burke Mountain for a future rock quarry was withdrawn earlier this month.

On Monday, a provincial government spokesperson said Langley resident John Carley had stopped the proposal from proceeding — nearly a year after the application was submitted for review.

Carley told The Tri-City News last year he wanted to test drill on 111 acres of Crown land to see if the rock could be excavated for construction and landscaping projects. His plan for an investigative permit of the Quarry Road and Calgary Drive area raised a number of concerns, including from city managers and the Northeast Coquitlam Ratepayers' Association.

The Ministry of Forests said Carley gave no reason for withdrawing his application.

jwarren@tricitynews.com

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Highway 1 split a preview of Port Mann Bridge local lanes
 
Craig Orr retires from helm at Watershed Watch
 
Retired Port Coquitlam fire chief dies
Aldergrove bank robber may be a modern-day Jesse James
 
Aldergrove bank robbed at gunpoint
 
ICBC blocking record 25,000 drivers for Port Mann toll evasion
Remembering a fallen comrade
 
More than $10K run up on stolen debit card
 
Chamber backs program that would encourage U.S. tourists to shop in Canada

Community Events, January 2015

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jan 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.