TC medal winners home from BC Winter Games
Athletes from Vancouver-Squamish topped the medal standings as the 2012 BC Winter Games concluded on the weekend in Vernon.
Although the medal results of each zone are impacted by geographical location and size, and number of participating athletes, here are the totals from this year’s Games:
• Vancouver-Squamish: 34 gold, 30 silver, 17 bronze
• Thompson-Okanagan: 24 gold, 26 silver, 30 bronze
• Fraser Valley: 26 gold, 16 silver, 30 bronze
• Vancouver Island-Central Coast: 13 gold, 20 silver, 19 bronze
• Cariboo-North East: 13 gold, 17 silver, 13 bronze
• Fraser River-Delta: 8 gold, 14 silver, 14 bronze
• Kootenays: 5 gold, 2 silver, 7 bronze
• North West: 6 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze
A total of 1,124 athletes, 228 coaches and 152 officials took part in 17 events during the Games, which ran Feb. 23-26. More than 2,200 volunteers from the Vernon area also took part.
The following is a list of individual medal winners, along with their hometowns and events, from the Tri-Cities (Zone 3 Fraser Valley):
Alexander Lawrence, Port Coquitlam, Pre-Novice Men’s figure skating; Zackery McLaren, Port Coquitlam, boys ‘A’ 1500 m and 3000 m points race speed skating; and Justin Cross, Coquitlam, boys ‘B’ 1500 m and 300 m points race speed skating.
Shi Yun Lum, Coquitlam, girls Provincial Level 3 uneven bars gymnastics; Madelyn McPhee, Coquitlam, girls Provincial Level 4 floor exercise gymnastics; and Kyle Parker, Port Moody, male dual moguls freestyle skiing.
Cristina Delmaestro, Port Moody, Juvenile women’s figure skating; Justin Cross, Coquitlam, boys ‘B’ 400 m speed skating; Kyle Parker, Port Moody, boys male moguls freestyle skiing; Madison Parker, Port Moody, girls dual moguls and combined freestyle skiing; and Erin Bibby, Port Coquitlam, girls match play archery.