Share Family and Community Services’ Substance Use Services invites you to attend any or all of its upcoming education series.
The program kicks off Feb. 14 and is open to everyone in the community, offering important information for those who are struggling with substance misuse or are concerned about their use. It will also help those people affected by others’ substance use.
There is no cost for this group, which will meet Thursdays: 6:30 to 8 p.m. at Share, 2615 Clarke St., Port Moody. The format consists of slide show presentation, video and discussion.
Topics will vary from week to week, as outlined below:
• Feb. 14: Substance use: Understanding addiction and making substance use changes.
• Feb. 21: Substance affected: How others’ misuse of substances can affect us and how to support them.
• Feb. 28: Relapse prevention: The psychological, emotional and physical aspects of relapse and how to respond.
• March 7: Alcohol: How dependence develops; intoxicated driving; and effects during pregnancy.
• March 14: Cannabis: A second-class addiction?
• March 21: Mental illness and addiction: Understanding the links between them.
• March 28: Trauma and substance use: How traumatic life experience can contribute to substance use.
• April 4: Opiates: Fentanyl, heroin and other commonly used depressants — addiction, safety and recovery.
• April 11: Stimulants: Cocaine, crystal meth & others — short-term recovery and long-term recovery.
• April 18: Anger, stress and depression: Learning how to support wellness without substance use.
More info: 604-936-3900.