Burnaby mayor urges residents to act now to curb COVID spread

Burnaby’s mayor is urging residents to take action to curb the spread of COVID-19 as the pandemic’s second wave is bringing vastly increasing numbers of new cases of the virus.

Mayor Mike Hurley sent the message in a video statement published to social media on Wednesday, just a few days after provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry introduced a two-week period of strict new rules around social gatherings. The rules, which bar gatherings beyond people’s direct households, came as new cases of the virus – in the 300-a-day range just a few weeks ago – rose to nearly 600 late last week.

article continues below

“It is important that we all familiarize ourselves with these orders (from Henry). … Our community has proven that we can adapt quickly to curb the spread of COVID-19, and I know that we can do that again,” Hurley said.

“Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, Burnaby residents have shown resilience and responsibility by helping to bend the curve and reduce the spread of this virus. “Our efforts as a community saved lives and ensured that we had a pathway to safely reopen businesses and services in our city.”

 

Hurley urged residents to “be vigilant” about physical distancing, to wear masks where distancing is not possible, to wash hands “thoroughly and often” and to “be responsible” about their activities.

“Now is not the time for social gatherings. But it is more important than ever for us to check in on our loved ones. Give them a call, send a text or reach out on social media,” Hurley said.

Follow Dustin on Twitter at @dustinrgodfrey
Email 
dgodfrey@burnabynow.com

Read Related Topics

© Copyright Tri-City News