Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
Celebrate Culture Days in B.C., including…
• Persian Culture Day: Tomorrow (Saturday) at the City Centre branch, there will be Farsi storytime from 11:15 to 11:45 a.m. (storytime in English and Farsi for parents and children aged birth to six years — songs, rhymes and stories to help your child develop language and pre-reading skills); and, from 1 to 4 p.m., Discover Iran (enjoy entertainment, games, art displays and calligraphy. Sample Persian cuisine and learn more about this fascinating culture). For more information, phone community services librarian Teresa Rehman at 604-937-4157.
• Maillardville: This Coquitlam 125 program celebrates the history of Fraser Mills and Maillardville on Tuesday, Oct. 11 at the Poirier branch. From 6 yo 7 p.m. is Social Hour, feature, fiddler Denis Leclerc’s francophone folk music; archival photographs, artifacts and an intriguing historical slide show; traditional French games; and even a fun quiz on Fraser Mills and Maillardville. From 7 to 8:30 p.m., there will be stories from Fraser Mills and Maillardville families and a representative from Beedie Development Group regarding the planned redevelopment of the Fraser Mills site. To register for this program, phone the registration line at 604-937-4155 and leave your name and phone number. For more information, call 604-937-4157.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Share English practice group for adults: Looking for a place to practise speaking English? All levels are welcome to drop into the library’s ParkLane Room on Fridays from 9:30 to 11 a.m. You’ll join other English learners in this free program hosted by volunteers with Share Family and Community Services and enjoy conversations with the other participants and the group leader. You will also find out more about your community in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Call Share at 604-936-3900 for more information.
• Pokémon Go for Parents: Can’t tell a Pikachu from a Pidgeot? Learn more about the Pokémon Go craze at an information and demo session Wednesday, Oct. 5, 7-8 p.m., which will include a short Pokéwalk through Port Moody’s hottest Pokéstops. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
For more info, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
Fox hosts several movies in October, including…
• Kids’ movie matinee: Are your children looking for something to do on the next pro-D day, Friday, Oct. 21? They can visit Terry Fox library for a movie matinee. Kung Fu Panda 3 will be showing (IMDb synopsis: “Po must face two hugely epic but different threats: one supernatural and the other a little closer to his home”). The movie runs from 2 to 3:30 p.m.
• Adults’ movie night: There’s award-winning cinema this fall: Crazy Heart on Oct. 3, and On Golden Pond on Oct. 17, 6 to 8 p.m. Call or drop by the library for more movie titles.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.