This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
There’s some summer learning and fun set for Coquitlam Public Library, including:
• July 16 (Poirier branch, 10:30 a.m.) and July 17 (City Centre branch, 1:30 p.m.), experience the Mobile Planetarium. Learn about the moon and our solar system inside an inflatable planetarium and, for the first time, borrow a telescope from the library. Registration is required for this program — phone 604-554-7334.
• July 23 (Poirier branch, 10:30 a.m.) and July 24 (City Centre branch, 1:30 p.m.), experience Green Screens and Robo-Goodness! Battle zombies, swim in a pool of lava, or stand on an airplane wing — with CPL’s green screen, you can get a photograph of something you didn’t do during summer vacation. Also, program and play with Sphero robots. Registration is not needed for this free program—just drop in.
• Innovation Hub open house: Try out the HTC Vive virtual reality headset and motion-tracked hand controllers. Users can explore outer space, conquer a fear of heights, paint in a 3D space, and more. See 3D printers in action and learn how to create your own designs using high-powered creative software. Open house happens Fridays from 2 to 4 p.m. at the City Centre branch. Next session for 3D printing: July 12. Next session for VR: July 19.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• The Great PMPL Scavenger Hunt: Does your family love The Amazing Race? Are they a treasure hunting, fact-finding, challenge-destroying team? On July 18 from 6 to 7:30 p.m., join librarians for the scavenger hunt to end all scavenger hunts. Registration is required for each family team; you can register online at portmoodylibrary.ca or by calling 604-469-4577.
• Summer Movies: Wreck-it Ralph Breaks the Internet: Enjoy free family movies together on the big screen every Wednesday. On July 17, PMPL will present Wreck-it Ralph Breaks the Internet (rated G, 115 minutes) in the Inlet Theatre; showtime at 2 p.m., doors open at 1:30 p.m. No registration required but seating is first come, first served. Eating is not allowed in the theatre and children under 10 must be accompanied by a caregiver.
• Super Saturday Summer Storytime: Join librarians for a special outdoor storytime for all ages every Saturday through Aug. 10 from 9:30 to 10 a.m.. Bring a blanket to Pioneer Memorial Park (the park across the street from the library between Knowle Street and Ioco Road) for stories, songs, rhymes, a craft and more — drop in, no registration required.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Stories Galore and More: Visit your local park this summer for puppets, stories, crafts and lots of fun, presented by the Tri-Cities Literacy Committee and the Terry Fox Library. This program runs through Aug. 8 on Tuesdays from 10 to 11 a.m. at Gates Park and on Thursdays, same time, at Sun Valley Park — drop in.
• Saturday Storytime: Introduce kids to the love of books and language with storytime. Children and caregivers will enjoy interactive stories, songs, rhymes and more. The next session is July 13, 11 to 11:30 a.m. — drop in.
• Tiffany Stone puppets, poetry and props: Join poet Tiffany Stone for poems and rhymes about flaming flamingos, baaaad animals and rainbow-coloured clothes. There will be rhythm and rhyme and plenty of time for everyone to participate in the fun with words Tuesday, July 23, 2 to 2:45 p.m. at the Leigh Square bandshell — drop in.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.