This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Summer learning and fun: July 9 (Poirier Branch at 10:30 a.m.) and July 10 (City Centre Branch, 1:30 p.m.), see Mad Science: Fire & Ice — cool scientific demonstrations that will fire up your imagination. Registration is not needed for this free program but arrive early to ensure a seat as space is limited. And July 16 (Poirier Branch, 10:30 a.m.) and July 17 (City Centre Branch, 1:30 p.m.), experience the Mobile Planetarium. Learn about the moon and our solar system inside an inflatable planetarium and, for the first time, borrow a telescope from the library. Registration is required for this program — phone 604-554-7334.
• Innovation Hub open house: Try out the HTC Vive virtual reality headset and motion-tracked hand controllers. Users can explore outer space, conquer a fear of heights, paint in a 3D space, and more. See 3D printers in action and learn how to create your own designs using high-powered creative software. Open house happens Fridays from 2 to 4 p.m. at the City Centre branch. Next session for VR: July 5. Next session for 3D printing: July 12.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Family game nights: On Mondays from 6 to 8:30 p.m. July 8 through Aug. 12, drop in with your family to try out some great games in the ParkLane Room — all ages, no registration required.
• Summer Movies: Finding Nemo: Enjoy free family movies together on the big screen every Wednesday. July 10, PMPL will be presenting Finding Nemo (rated G, 98 minutes) in the Inlet Theatre, 2 p.m. (doors open at 1:30 p.m.). No registration required but seating is first come, first served. Children under 10 must be accompanied by a caregiver.
• Books and boardgames: Looking for a great summer read? Drop in to the library every Thursday through Aug. 8 between 3:30 and 5 p.m., when expert librarians will pick out your new favourites while you play games. This all-ages, drop-in program is not supervised.
• Reading Campout: Camp out at the library next Thursday, July 11 — bring a picnic dinner and enjoy storytimes, Popsicles and fun family activities for all ages under the stars from 6 to 7:30 p.m. — drop in, no registration required.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Magic and more: Join the Great Gordini and his assistant, Otto the Skunky Munky, for a show filled with magic tricks, wacky fun and a lot of opportunities to participate. Can you figure out the magic? Imagine the possibilities July 9, 2 to 2:45 p.m., at Leigh Square Bandshell — drop in.
• Leg Club: Terry Fox Library has the Lego, you bring your imagination. Try out Keva Planks, too. Kids ages five to 10 years of age are welcome July 10, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. — drop in.
• Stories Galore and More: The Tri-Cities Literacy Committee and Terry Fox Library are offering an outdoor family literacy event in local parks this summer. These drop-in events are aimed at children, who will hear stories, do crafts and see puppets. This program will run through Aug. 8 as follows: Tuesdays, 10 to 11 a.m. at Gates Park; and Thursdays, 10 to 11 a.m. at Sun Valley Park.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.