Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in PoCo.
• TOMORROW: Intro to Virtual Reality: People ages 14 to 30 years can find out what virtual reality (VR) is all about in this one-day workshop. Spend the morning exploring the history of VR, the future career opportunities and skills needed to work in the field. The afternoon will be filled with hands-on activities where you will build your first VR application. Lunch is not included. This standalone class can be taken Saturday Nov. 17, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 137 at the City Centre branch. Register by phoning 604-554-7334. This program is a partnership with the Advanced Education Institute of Canada.
• Author visit: Join painter and photographer Frank Townsley, author of British Columbia: Graced by Nature’s Palette, as he shares some incredible images capturing B.C.’s landscapes, flora and fauna Tuesday, Nov. 20 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the City Centre branch in Rooms 136 and 137. Register online at coqlibrary.ca.
• Intro to Robots with Sphero Sprk+: Bring your smart phone and learn to code with CPL’s Sphero robots. Play with them and use block coding to make them move, light up and make noise Friday, Nov. 23, 2 to 4 p.m. in the City Centre branch Innovation Hub. Participants must bring their own Bluetooth-enabled smart phone or tablet to download the free Sphero Edu app. Registration is required for these free classes. Register online or by calling the Help Desk at 604-554-7323.
• Sphero robotics for kids and parents: This two-workshop program is for children in Grades 4 to 7 and a parent. Participants will learn tips and tricks for driving and programming a Sphero robot. Beginner and intermediate Sphero users are welcome Dec. 12 and 19, 4 to 5:30 p.m. at the City Centre branch in Rooms 136 and 137. Each child/parent pair should bring a compatible smart phone or tablet computer. To register, call 604-554-7334.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Library survey: Port Moody Public Library wants to hear from you. Help inform the Library’s next strategic plan by completing the survey at library.portmoody.ca by Nov. 22 and be entered to win a prize from a local business.
• Interview with confidence: Job interviews can be career-changing conversations. Join Lisa Stephen, employment resource facilitator, to gain insight into interviewers’ expectations and how you can prepare to interview with much confidence Tuesday, Nov. 20 from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
• Seniors’ health: dementia and Alzheimer’s disease: Join Dr. Fatma Taha Thursday, Nov. 22 from 7 to 8 p.m. in the library’s ParkLane Room for an information workshop on dementia and Alzheimer’s. The program will cover warning signs, myths and realities, treatment and expert advice. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
Terry Fox’s column is not available this week. For more info, visit fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.