This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Virtual reality open house: Adults and teens aged 13 and up, immerse yourself in the world of VR. Each session is approximately 15 minutes on Feb. 8 and 22 from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Innovation Hub at the City Centre branch. Drop in anytime during the open house.
• 3D printing orientation open house: Learn how to use CPL’s 3D printers, scanners and high-powered creative software Feb. 15 from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Innovation Hub at the City Centre branch. Drop in anytime during the open house.
• Pro-D day movie: Incredibles 2: Take a break Friday, Feb. 22 and watch The Incredibles battle a mind-control menace known as Screenslaver in Disney/Pixar’s Incredibles 2 (127 minutes, rated PG). The movie will screen from 1:30 to 3:40 p.m. at both the Poirier and City Centre branches. Registration not required — just drop in.
• Friends of CPL shred-a-thon: Come to the Friends’ first ever shred-a-thon event and get started early on spring cleaning. Securely shred your confidential documents with bonded professionals Saturday, Feb. 23, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Poirier branch. Limit of four 100-lb. banker boxes per person/family; no metals, plastics, photographs or negatives. Admission to this event is by donation; suggested minimum is $5 per banker box. All proceeds benefit the library.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Healthy aging: Healthy aging is more than just the absence of disease and disability. Nobody escapes the effects of aging. Even if you are in your 20s and 30s, the sooner you begin to take proactive steps to prevent the negative effects of aging, the better off you will be as you proceed along the age continuum. This session is set for Feb. 21, 2 to 3:30 p.m. Call or visit the library to register
• Saturday storytime: Introduce kids to the love of books and language with storytime. Children and caregivers will enjoy interactive stories, songs, rhymes, and more Feb. 9, 11 to 11:30 a.m., drop-in.
• Pro-D day movie matinee: Looking for something to do on the next pro-D day? Head to Terry Fox Library for a movie matinee showing of the animated film Storks Feb. 22, 2 to 3:30 p.m. — drop-in.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located at 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.
• Intro to ukulele for adults: Learn how to play the ukulele Feb. 12 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in the ParkLane Room. This hands-on intro workshop will cover tuning, chords and playing your first songs together. You must bring your own ukulele. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
• Resume know-how: A solid job search begins with a well-crafted resume that meets the expectations of human resources departments. If your resume isn’t getting you noticed, or writing resumes is new for you, join Lisa Stephen, employment resource facilitator and certified professional resume writer from Port Moody WorkBC to gain insight into what makes a resume stand out. Register for this workshop by calling 604-469-4577. The program will be held Feb. 15 from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. in the ParkLane Room.
• Writing workshop: W.L. Hawkin: Deciding how to structure a novel is not easy. In this workshop Feb. 20 from 7 to 8:30 p.m., local author W.L. Hawkin will take you through the mythic hero journey structure that has been used for well-known works like Star Wars and Harry Potter. The class will cover the aspects of the journey and how to apply them to your novel. This is for youths 14 years and older and adults. Call 604-469-4577 to reserve a spot.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr.