This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Science Expo 2019: Celebrate knowledge and discovery with librarians at the fourth annual Coquitlam Public Library Science Expo for elementary, middle and high school students in the Tri-Cities. It’s set for May 2 at the City Centre branch. To be part of the Expo, students must submit registration and a consent forms. The deadline for submissions is April 18.
• Storytimes: Spring storytimes begin the week of May 2. Find the new schedule for City Centre and Poirier branches at coqlibrary.ca/programs-events/children.
• Innovation Hub open house: Try out the HTC Vive virtual reality headset and motion-tracked hand controllers. Users can explore outer space, conquer a fear of heights, paint in a 3D space, and more. See 3D printers in action and learn how to create your own designs using high-powered creative software. Open house happens Fridays from 2 to 4 p.m. at the City Centre branch. Next session for 3D printing: May 3. Next session for VR: May 10.
• Free Comic Book Day: Celebrate Free Comic Book Day at Coquitlam Public Library Saturday, May 4 by choosing a free comic produced for the occasion by some of the world’s best comic writers and artists. This event runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at both the City Centre and Poirier branches. Come early if you can as free comics are available while supplies last.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Philosopher’s Café: Privacy: This award-winning program brings the conversations from the university to the community. Next Monday, May 6 from 7 to 8:30 p.m., Café participants will discuss privacy: Do we have more privacy than previous generations or less? Under what circumstances would you give up some privacy? Join moderator Keith Caspell in the library’s ParkLane room, no registration required.
• Immigrant Services Society of BC: Job Success Program info session: Are you an immigrant looking for work? ISSofBC’s Job Success Program can help you navigate employment services and enter the Canadian job market. Join ISS Wednesday, May 8 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the ParkLane Room to learn more. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
• Ukulele Jam: jam on Wednesday, May 7 from 7 to 8 p.m. — learn and play new songs together. This is for people who have some ukulele experience (know at least C, G, and F chords) and you must bring your own ukulele. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
• Free Comic Book Day: Drop in to the library to pick up free all-ages comics May 4 between 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Enter to win some great prizes. Sponsored by Hourglass Comics and Games.
• Star Wars Day: May the Fourth be with you. On May 4 from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., celebrate all things Star Wars at the library with games, crafts, contests and more — you can come in costume for more chances to win. Drop in, no registration required.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Star Wars Day: May the Fourth be with you. Join librarians as they celebrate Star Wars Day at Terry Fox Library. Come in costume and take pictures on a planet far, far away using a greenscreen, make a craft or participate in our Star Wars-themed scavenger hunt. This event is set for Saturday, May 4, 1 to 4 p.m. — drop-in.
• Free Comic Book Day: May 4, starting at 10 a.m., comic book lovers of all ages can check out the selection of free comics. First come first served, while supplies last, in partnership with Hourglass Comics and Imperial Hobbies.
• Tenants’ rights and responsibilities: Are you a tenant wanting to know your rights and responsibilities from start to the end of your tenancy? A speaker from B.C.’s Residential Tenancy Branch will provide crucial information on this province’s laws regarding renters. Topics covered include rights and responsibilities of tenants/landlords, dispute resolution processes, etc. This program is presented by SUCCESS Tuesday, May 7, 6 to 8 p.m. To register, call 604-468-6022 or 604-468-6069, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.