This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Innovation Hub open house: Try out the HTC Vive virtual reality headset and motion-tracked hand controllers. Users can explore outer space, conquer a fear of heights, paint in a 3D space, and more. See 3D printers in action and learn how to create your own designs using high-powered creative software. Open house happens Fridays from 2 to 4 p.m. at the City Centre branch. Next session for 3D printing: May 3. Next session for VR: May 10.
• Remember floppy drives?: The Digitization Station at Poirier branch has added a floppy disk drive to its list of equipment. Members of the public can now transfer data on 3.5-inch floppy disks to USB flash drive. Book an appointment by visiting the Poirier branch or by calling 604-937-4141.
• Burke Mountain pyjama storytime and playtime: Join librarians on Burke Mountain every Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m. for a fun, free evening of crafts, games, and active play for all ages. Pyjama storytime happens from 6:30 to 7 p.m. and the Library Link book bus visits from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Smiling Creek Activity Centre, 3456 Princeton Ave.
• Family Fun Day at Place Maillardville: The Library Link book bus will be on site at this year’s Family Fun Day at Place Maillardville, May 25 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Go on board the library on wheels to explore the mobile collection and to create your own button. Place Maillardville community centre is located at 1200 Cartier Ave.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• 75 ways to save on household expenses: Get tips from the Credit Counselling Society on how to save on various household expenses, including utilities, transportation, groceries and personal items. Join librarians Monday, May 13 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in the ParkLane Room to learn more. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
• A night of mystery: Authors’ secrets uncovered: Tuesday, May 14 from 7 to 8:30 p.m., join librarians for an evening of discussion about mystery books with authors A.J. Devlin (Cobra Clutch), W.L. Hawkin (Hollystone Mysteries) and Debra Purdy Kong (Casey Holland Mysteries) in the library’s Fireplace Reading Room. The panel will share their perfect crime, recommended reads, writing tips, scintillating secrets and more. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
• Immigrant pathways from SUCCESS: Call 604-469-4577 to register for this information session Wednesday, May 15 from 6 to 8 p.m. in the library’s ParkLane Room. Find out the latest information about immigration options from an immigration consultant. Topics include application requirements, Express Entry and the BC Provincial Nominee Program; presented by SUCCESS.
• Welcome to WordPress: Want to start your own blog or website? Join librarians in the ParkLane Room Thursday, May 16 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. to learn how to set up a free WordPress account, select and customize a theme, and add content. Call 04-469-4577 to register.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Movie night: Drop in at the library for a free movie and popcorn. Librarians will be showing an assortment of highly rated films. Next movie night is Monday, May 13, 6 to 8 p.m.
• Playground day: Cubetto and other Robots: It is never too early to begin learning logic and coding. Cubetto is a friendly wooden robot that teaches children the basics of computer programming through stories and activities. You can also check out Ozobots, the pocket-sized robot, drive Sphero around the library, or build a masterpiece with Magformers, Keva Planks and Lego. There’s something for everyone Thursday, May 16, 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. — drop in.
• Family fort night: Come after hours one last time to the current Terry Fox Library Friday, May 24 for fort building and reading by flashlight. Fort materials will be provided — you bring flashlights and snacks. This final session runs 5:30 to 7 p.m. Space is limited so call or visit the library to register.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.