This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Pro-D day movie: Ralph Breaks the Internet: Come watch video game villain Ralph and his friend Vanellope von Schweetz scour the vast, confusing, distracting worldwide web to find a part they hope will save her game in this Disney animated flick (115 minutes, rated G). The screening is Friday, April 26, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. at both the Poirier and City Centre branches.
• Science Expo 2019: Celebrate knowledge and discovery with librarians at the fourth annual Coquitlam Public Library Science Expo for elementary, middle and high school students in the Tri-Cities. It’s set for May 2 at the City Centre branch. To be part of the Expo, students must submit registration and a consent forms. The deadline for submissions is April 18.
• Free Comic Book Day: Celebrate Free Comic Book Day at Coquitlam Public Library by choosing a free comic produced for the occasion by some of the world’s best comic writers and artists. This event runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 4 at both the City Centre and Poirier branches. Come early if you can as free comics are available while supplies last.
• Storytimes: Spring storytimes begin the week of May 2. Find the new schedule for City Centre and Poirier branches at coqlibrary.ca/programs-events/children.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Learn about hiking: Get outside and have fun — join librarians April 29 in the Inlet Theatre from 10 to 11:30 a.m. to learn about camping, water safety and hiking dos and don’ts for newcomers to Canada. This session is presented in partnership with the Adult Learning and ESL Working Group. Register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Living with anxiety: There are times in our lives when we lose the feeling of balance in our health. In this fun and interactive presentation April 30 from 7 to 8 p.m. in the ParkLane Room, Jill Scott, ND will discuss the common causes for anxiety and share some tools for restoring balance in our well-being, including diet, sleep, exercise and more. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
• Free Comic Book Day: Drop in to the library to pick up free all-ages comics May 4 between 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Enter to win some great prizes. Sponsored by Hourglass Comics and Games.
• Star Wars Day: May the Fourth be with you. On May 4 from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., celebrate all things Star Wars at the library with games, crafts, contests and more — you can come in costume for more chances to win. Drop in, no registration required.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Star Wars Day: May the Fourth be with you. Join librarians as they celebrate Star Wars Day at Terry Fox Library. Come in costume and take pictures on a planet far, far away using a greenscreen, make a craft or participate in our Star Wars-themed scavenger hunt. This event is set for Saturday, May 4, 1 to 4 p.m. — drop-in.
• Free Comic Book Day: May 4, starting at 10 a.m., comic book lovers of all ages can check out the selection of free comics. First come first served, while supplies last, in partnership with Hourglass Comics and Imperial Hobbies.
• Journey through the Inside Passage: Join traveller Elspeth Bowers as she presents a one-of-a-kind journey to the Pacific Northwest’s Inside Passage aboard the MV Aurora Explorer. The 135-foot working boat transports a variety of heavy equipment and general freight throughout the Gulf of Georgia and the remote inlets of Johnstone and Queen Charlotte Strait. Come hear Bowers as she talks about her trip on the iconic ship exploring B.C.’s working coast Thursday April 25, 6:30 to 8 p.m.
• Pro-D Day movie matinee: Looking for something to do on pro-D day? Come to Terry Fox Library for a movie matinee Friday, April 26, 2 to 3:30 p.m. — drop-in.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.