LAVAL, Que. — Police in Quebec confirmed Thursday that a criminal investigation was underway after an 84-year-old man died in hospital following an operating room incident.
Health authorities in Laval, a suburb north of Montreal, said in a statement that operating room employees at the Cite-de-la-Sante hospital filed a complaint after an unspecified event allegedly caused the patient's death.
Neither the hospital network nor Laval police would confirm the nature of the Nov. 1 incident, but the Centre integre de sante et de services sociaux de Laval said the doctor involved was suspended and later resigned.
The coroner's office identified the victim as 84-year-old Raymond Bissonnette from Laval.
"The investigation is underway to determine the causes and the circumstances of his death that occurred Nov. 1, 2019," spokeswoman Dominique D'Anjou wrote in an email.
The regional health authority said in a statement that it had met the deceased patient's family and was offering psychological support to its employees.
The College des medecins du Quebec, the professional order representing doctors, confirmed it had been informed of the death and that its investigative body would "take all the appropriate actions."
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 14, 2019.