There’s going to be a new way to get around Port Moody on weekend afternoon and evenings beginning Friday.
The Shoreline Shuttle is a summer-long pilot project to provide free transportation between Inlet Centre, Rocky Point Park and Moody Centre. The 20-passenger bus (or 16 plus two wheelchairs) will run a one-way loop approximately every 30 minutes from 4 p.m. to midnight on Fridays, 1 p.m. to midnight on Saturdays, and 1 to 10 p.m. on Sundays, until Sept. 3. The schedule will also be adjusted for holidays like Canada Day, B.C. Day and Labour Day, as well as special events like the city’s car-free day in August and RibFest.
Port Moody mayor Mike Clay said he hopes the service will encourage residents to leave their cars at home.
“It’s… going to help people access our business areas,” he said.
In March, Port Moody council approved the expenditure of $50,000 to contract the bus operator as well as install signage for the shuttle’s 13 stops.
Amelia Norrie, one of the organizers of the city’s night market that launches its second season in July, said the service will relieve some of the parking pressure at Rocky Point Park, especially when the area gets busy with summer events like the market, concerts and festivals.
Celia Chiang, who owns a flower shop in Newport Village and helps organize a Shop Local campaign amongst city businesses, said the shuttle service will be an opportunity for those businesses to reach new customers.
The 13 stops to catch the shuttle are:
1. Rocky Point Park (2800-block Murray Street)
2. Kyle Street (St. Johns Street at Kyle Street)
3. Clarke/Douglas (Clarke Street at Douglas Street)
4. Moody Street (St. Johns Street at Moody Street)
5. Williams Street (St. Johns Street at Williams Street)
6. Buller Street (St. Johns Street at Buller Street)
7. Moray Street (St. Johns Street at Moray Street)
8. Suter Brook Way (Ioco Road at Suter Brook Way)
9. Recreation Complex/Civic Centre (Knowle Street)
10. Eagle Ridge Hospital (Ungless Way at Newport Drive)
11. Guildford/Balmoral (Guildford Way at Balmoral Drive)
12. Klahanie (Murray Street at Klahanie Drive East)
13. Inlet Park (Murray Street at Electronic Avenue)
For a detailed route map, go to www.portmoody.ca/shuttle.