Skip to content

Man charged for alleged violent domestic assault in West Vancouver

One man is in custody following an incident that drew a large police presence to the British Properties Wednesday morning
West Vancouver police said the suspect has a history of violence and weapons possession in Ontario. | Nick Laba / North Shore News

A male suspect remains in custody after allegedly assaulting his intimate partner, an incident that drew a large police presence to the British Properties on Wednesday.

On the evening prior, Tuesday (May 21), West Vancouver police received multiple calls from residents in the neighbourhood of a woman in distress with evident physical injuries.

Officers found the woman and determined she had been the victim of a serious assault by her intimate partner, while both were staying at a short-term rental on the 800 block of King Georges Way, according to a statement from West Vancouver Police Department on Thursday.

“Police contained the home and established that the suspect was a parolee from Ontario with a history of violence and possession of weapons including firearms,” reads the statement. “The suspect was later observed in the home with a large knife. A prolonged operation ensued as officers worked to negotiate with the suspect and effect a safe arrest.”

Just before 9 a.m. on Wednesday, the suspect surrendered to police in front of the residence and was transported to West Vancouver police headquarters.

At a bail hearing Wednesday evening, Tyrell Evans was charged with one count of assault causing bodily harm, one count of assault by choking and one count of possessing a weapon for a dangerous purpose, court documents show.

Evans, 35, was remanded in custody until his next court date Friday morning in North Vancouver Provincial Court.

“This was a serious and dynamic investigation for us with a lot of moving parts,” said Sgt. Chris Bigland, spokesperson for WVPD. “Intimate partner violence is a serious criminal offence with significantly different dynamics than other crimes.

“This event’s inclusion of a history of violence, drug and alcohol consumption and the possibility of firearms in a residential community required a thorough and calculated response,” he said. “We are confident that our actions maintained public safety at a level in keeping with our community’s expectations and are pleased that a conclusion without further escalation was achieved.”