Colony Farm cows are the subject of the latest online exhibit from the city of Coquitlam archives.
The Legen-dairy Holstein Herd of Colony Farm explores its history, dairy production and its role in mental health services in the province.
The farm opened in 1910 to provide patients a way to earn a small salary while living at the farm by working at its nursery and dairy, which started with 22 Holsteins bought locally. It expanded with the importation of 50 Holsteins that were housed in automated, state-of-the-art facilities. By 1913, the farm produced almost 50,000 gallons of milk annually and it grew from there.
Much of the award-winning herd’s documentation was destroyed in a rash of fires at the farm in 1946, although some dry plate negatives were found. The province closed the farm and sold the herd in 1983.
The full exhibit is available at coquiltam.ca/holstein.