Nearly 30 residents can continue to live at an emergency response centre in Coquitlam after a lease extension was inked.
Today (March 22), BC Housing confirmed the year-long extension for the homeless tenants at the SureStay Hotel, a former Best Western facility at 725 Brunette Ave.
Staff from the Phoenix Drug and Alcohol Recovery and Education Society will also continue as the operator; Phoenix also runs the Emergency Winter Shelter (EWS) at the Kyle Centre in Port Moody.
"The SureStay Hotel in Coquitlam has been a valuable temporary housing solution in support of people at risk of, or experiencing, homelessness in the Tri-Cities since the start of the pandemic," Tim Chamberlin, BC Housing spokesperson, told the Tri-City News.
The agency declined to name the hotel owner due to a confidentiality clause in the lease agreement, or the lease costs; however, the Provincial Rental Housing Corporation is partner, he said.
BC Housing said it will keep discussions open with the City of Coquitlam, as well as the cities of Port Coquitlam and Port Moody, and other stakeholders to find supportive housing for Tri-Cities people at risk or without homes.
"The province has funded more than 40,000 affordable new homes that have been completed or are underway for people in B.C., including nearly 400 homes in Coquitlam," Chamberlin said.
Meanwhile, the rotation for the winter shelter program at six Tri-Cities churches ends March 31.
The temporary accommodation ran through the Progressive Housing Society at the following sites (in calendar order):
- Trinity United Church (2211 Prairie Ave., Port Coquitlam), Oct. 1–31, 2022
- Calvary Baptist Church (1636 Regan Ave., Coquitlam), Nov. 1–30, 2022
- Trinity United Church (2211 Prairie Ave., Port Coquitlam), Dec. 1–31, 2022
- St. Laurence Anglican Church (825 St. Laurence St., Coquitlam), Jan. 1–31, 2023
- Trinity United Church (2211 Prairie Ave., Port Coquitlam), Feb. 1–28, 2023
- Coquitlam Alliance Church (2601 Spuraway Ave., Coquitlam), March 1–31, 2023
RainCity Housing also runs a 40-bed emergency shelter for homeless people at 3030 Gordon Ave. in Coquitlam.