You can nominate an unsung hero for a special recognition from Coquitlam-Port Coquitlam’s MP.
Until July 16, Community Champion nominations for leaders, frontline workers, parents, heroes and volunteers in the federal riding will be accepted by Liberal MP Ron McKinnon’s constituency office.
The annual award program pays tribute to residents who have stepped up during the past year.
The recipients’ names will be announced on McKinnon’s Facebook page, on a rolling basis on Fridays, starting June 25.
The Community Champions will be invited to celebrate their honour with McKinnon and other Champions at a social in September; due to the pandemic, it will take place virtually this year.
Previous recipients include (as provided by MP McKinnon's staff):
- Robin Whachell: president of the Hoy-Scott Watershed Society and a passionate environmental steward
- Ravi Safaya: founder of Steps Together Foundation and the Youth Leadership Society of B.C.
- Larissa Lapierre: president of the Tri-Cities Female Ice Hockey Association
- Jamie Haakons and Keisha Go: Jamie and Keisha stepped up to ensure healthcare workers have the PPE needed to keep them sage on the frontline by 3D printing PPEs and donating them to hospitals, nurses, dentists, clinics, and retirement homes. Together, they donated more than 12,000 items to date, operating 8 machines and working up to 18 hours a day
- Keegan Gordon: an advocate and activist to improving the lives of our firefighters
- Linda Li: a leader in the Tri-Cities Chinese community