Coquitlam residents can keep active — and safe — from home this month by tuning in to virtual workouts.
The city is hosting a number of low-cost classes via Zoom for all fitness levels. These include:
- Latin dance: Mondays, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (Course ID# 75295) and Fridays, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. (Course ID# 75301)
- Low impact: Mondays, 10 to 11 a.m. (Course ID# 75293) and Thursdays, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. (Course ID# 78025)
- Pilates: Tuesdays, 10 to 11 a.m. (Course ID# 75297)
- HIIT: Tuesdays, 6 to 7 p.m. (Course ID# 78112)
- Hatha yoga: Wednesdays, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. (Course ID# 75299)
- Essentrics: Wednesdays, 10:45 to 11:45 a.m. (Course ID# 78622)
- Barre: Wednesdays, 6 to 7 p.m. (Course ID# 78624)
- Fit 360: Thursdays, 6 to 7 p.m. (Course ID# 78107)
Meanwhile, the city has several skill-development courses — starting this week — at the Dogwood and Glen Pine pavilions.
The following classes are open for registrations ages 19 and older:
- Lettering Beginner: Learn to hand draw a new font each week. From 3-D block lettering to bubble letters to cursive script, turn simple letters into works of art with step-by-step instruction. Runs Saturdays, Jan. 15 to Feb. 19 from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m. (Course ID# 74532).
- Lettering Intermediate: Further enhance your skills at hand drawing new fonts each week. From 3-D block lettering to bubble letters to cursive script, turn simple letters into works of art with step-by-step instruction. Runs Saturdays, Jan. 15 to Feb. 19 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. (Course ID# 74534).
GLEN PINE PAVILION
- Beginner Spanish: Learn basic words, phrases and sentences to be able to converse and write with others in travel, business or at home. This program is designed for a beginner with no previous experience. Runs Wednesdays, Jan. 12 to Feb. 16 from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (Course ID# 73939).
- Winter Crafts: Make winter-themed decor for your house or seasonal gifts for friends. No previous arts and crafts experience required. Runs Thursdays, Jan. 13 to Feb. 17 from 1 to 2:30 p.m. (Course ID: 75496).
- Beginner Drawing: Learn the fundamentals of drawing. Through black and white drawings, work on conveying mood, expression and landscape while developing skills that allow your drawings to flourish. Participants are required to bring their own supplies. Runs Thursdays, Jan. 13 to Feb. 17 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. (Course ID# 74050).
- Learn to Play Poker: Learn how to play this fun and social game of strategy, skill and chance. Runs Fridays, Jan. 14 to Feb. 18 from 10 to 11:30 a.m. (Course ID# 74100).
Registration for the classes is required.