Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
• Playaway Launchpads: Coquitlam Public Library now offers Playaway Launchpads — sturdy little tablets for kids from preschool age through Grade 2. They are pre-loaded with games about math, transportation, nature, building and engineering, shapes and colours, animals and more. Launchpads have an easy-to-use interface, no need for WiFi, no download time and are 100% secure. Children can simply turn on the Launchpad anytime, anywhere and start exploring. They are available on the children’s New Book shelves at both branches and also on Library Link.
• 3D printing orientation: Learn how to use CPL’s 3D printers, scanners and high-powered creative software at a 3D printing orientation. Drop in to the Innovation Hub at the City Centre branch Friday, Dec. 7 from 2 to 4 p.m. to get started.
• Consumer Reports Online: Make sure you buy the perfect gifts this holiday season. Before you head to the mall, check Consumer Reports Online to get unbiased ratings for thousands of products, along with satisfaction scores from nearly a million consumers. Get Canadian ratings under Canada Extra at the bottom of the page. ConsumerReports.org includes the current issue of the magazine and magazine archives back five years. To use Consumer Reports Online, go to coqlibrary.ca and click on Digital Content. Find Consumer Reports under Featured eResources.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• SFU Philosopher’s Café: How Much Do You Trust an Automated System?: Monday, Dec. 3 from 7 to 8:30 p.m., the discussion will centre on automated systems. Do you trust an automated system more if there is a real person you can talk to, even if the end result is the same? Drop in to this program in the library’s ParkLane Room, no registration required.
• Ukulele Jam: Come and jam Tuesday, Dec. 4 from 7 to 8 p.m. in the ParkLane Room. The ukulele is one of the cheeriest and easiest instruments to learn. Participants will learn and play new songs together. All ages welcome — must bring your own ukulele. Call 604-469-4577 or visit the library information desk to register for this free program.
• Learn about Canadian culture: First Nations: Are you a newcomer to Canada who wants to learn more about the culture? Visit Port Moody Public Library for a series of programs presented in partnership with the Adult Literacy and ESL Working Group. Thursday, Dec. 6 from 10 to 11:30 a.m., the program in the Inlet Theatre will be on Canada’s First Nations. Discover the rich culture and history of local First Nations in this presentation. Register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• TOMORROW — Tri-City Wordsmiths: Increase your knowledge and skill in the literary arts with the Tri-City Wordsmiths. Visit www.tri-citywordsmiths.ca for more information and monthly topics. Tomorrow, Scott Hargrove, CEO of Fraser Valley Regional Library, will present on the topic Publishers, Libraries and Writers: An Evolving World Saturday, 2 to 4:30 p.m. Contact the library to register.
• Saturday movie matinee: Paddington 2: Embark on a wild and crazy journey with Paddington as he tries to unmask the thief who stole a pop-up book from the antique shop. Will he be able to recover it and give it to his aunt as a gift? The movie screens Saturday, Dec. 8, 2 to 3:30 p.m. — just drop in.
• Christmas songs with the CUTIE Circle: Spread some holiday cheer by joining the CUTIE Circle and the library’s ukulele jam group as they sing and play Christmas songs Saturday, Dec. 15, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. (drop-in).
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.