This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Summer Reading Club medal awards ceremonies: Collect a medal for working so hard as a reader this summer. You can pick up your medal at the Poirier Branch Saturday, Sept. 7 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. or 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• Innovation Hub open house: Try out the HTC Vive virtual reality headset and motion-tracked hand controllers. Users can explore outer space, conquer a fear of heights, paint in a 3D space, and more. See 3D printers in action and learn how to create your own designs using high-powered creative software. Open house happens Fridays from 2 to 4 p.m. at the City Centre branch. Next sessions are Aug. 23 and 27.
• Coquitlam Public Library anime convention: Youths from 11 to 19 years old, head to CPL’s City Centre branch Aug. 27 for a half-day celebration of anime culture, featuring an art marketplace, a cosplay contest, an Osu! tournament, a scavenger hunt, a karaoke contest and more. This event runs from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 pm in Rooms 127, 136 and 137, and the computer lab. To compete for prizes in Osu! or cosplay, or to display and sell your original artwork at the marketplace, you must register in advance at coqlibrary.ca/programs-events/teens/coquitlam-library-anime-convention. For more information, contact librarian Chris Miller at 604-554-7339 or email@example.com.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Little Explorers: This hands-on storytime will explore early concepts in science, technology, math and engineering through songs, a story and a fun activity. Preschoolers can become junior scientists and explore the topic of colour either Sept. 13 or 27 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Register at portmoodylibrary.ca or by calling 604-469-4577.
• Learn with Mango: Whether you want to know a few phrases for an upcoming trip or become a brilliant conversationalist, Mango has you covered. Learn a new language on your computer, tablet or smartphone with Mango. Check portmoodylibrary.ca and visit “Digital Content” for more details.
• Teen volunteers needed: Are you a teen looking for leadership opportunities and volunteer hours? PMPL has opportunities to build skills in programs such as Book Buddies and Code Buddies after school and on Saturdays. Visit portmoodylibrary.ca or call 604-469-4577 for more details.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Pop-up Library Babytime: Make language fun. Help your baby develop speech and language skills — enjoy bouncing, singing and rhyming with stories. Babytime is a fun, social bonding activity for babies and caregivers that next runs tomorrow (Aug. 23), from 10:15 to 10:45 a.m. at the Port Coquitlam community centre in the lobby — drop in.
• Summer Reading Club Medal Ceremony with Norden the Magician: Celebrate a summer of reading. Norden will have you laughing until your sides hurt Aug. 28; 6 to 6:45 p.m., Norden’s performance; 6:45 to 7:30 p.m., medal ceremony. This drop-in event takes place at the Leigh Square bandshell.
• New library: Celebrate the new Terry Fox Library at the grand opening of Phase 1 of the new Port Coquitlam community centre. Try out many of Fraser Valley Regional Library’s exciting Playground experiences and complete a scavenger hunt in the library for a chance to win a prize basket Tuesday, Aug. 27 from 4 to 7 p.m. — drop in.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.