Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
• Movie Screening: Coco: While seeking to become a famous musician, a 12-year-old boy is accidentally transported to the land of the dead. The film will be screened at the Poirier branch Tuesday, July 31 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. and City Centre branch Wednesday, Aug. 1 from 1:30 to 3:15 p.m. Registration is not needed for this free program but arrive early to ensure a seat as space is limited.
• Imagination Fair: Indulge your imagination by building, playing and learning about neat technologies, with materials made available with support from the city of Coquitlam’s Spirit Grant. Program runs at the Poirier branch Aug. 7 from 10:30 a.m. to noon and at the City Centre branch Aug. 8 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. Registration is not needed for this free program — just drop in.
• B.C. Day storytime: Join librarians for a special B..C Day storytime for children from birth to six years of age and their parents or caregivers. The event is set for Monday, Aug. 6, 11 to 11:30 a.m. at the City Centre branch, Room 136. Registration is not needed for this free program — just drop in.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Summer Movies: Jumanji: Drop in and enjoy Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (rated G, 119 minutes) in the Inlet Theatre Wednesday, Aug. 1 from 2 to 4 p.m. The screening is free and no reservations are required but seating is first come, first served. Children under 10 years old must be attended by an adult.
• Books and board games: Drop in to the library Aug. 2 between 2 and 4 p.m. and let librarians help you find the perfect book. Youth services librarians will help pick out fantastic summer reads while you play board games.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Greater Vancouver Zoo: Snakes slither, ducks waddle, mice scurry. Why do animals move the way they do? Join Greater Vancouver Zoo to explore how animals move and groove, and meet some animal ambassadors and hear their stories Aug. 2, 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. at Leigh Square.
• Stories Galore and More: The Tri-Cities Literacy Committee and Terry Fox Library are offering an outdoor family literacy event in Lions Park this summer and the next one is on Tuesday, July 31, 10 to 11 a.m. These drop-in events are aimed at children from birth to six years, and they will participate in storytimes as well as arts and crafts, with a different theme every week. (Note: In heavy rain, the program will be moved to Terry Fox Library.)
For more info, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.