This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Chinese New Year concert: Celebrate Lunar New Year. Members from the Arts Musical Studio will perform traditional Chinese music to welcome the arrival of spring and the Year of the Rat. Come and enjoy the festive music Wednesday, Feb. 5 from 7 to 8 p.m. at City Centre branch. Register online at coqlibrary.ca > Today’s Events or phone 604-554-7345.
• Digital Skills for Entrepreneurship: Learn basic digital skills that will allow you to pursue your business ideas or grow your existing business. This is a four-part series and participants are encouraged to register for all four sessions, which run Tuesdays, Feb. 4, 11, 18 and 25 from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the City Centre branch. Register at coqlibrary.ca > Today’s Events.
• English practice groups: Practise your English in a small group setting in weekly drop-in conversation groups that are open to adults (19 years or older) and are led by volunteers from Share Family and Community Services. There are groups for beginner, intermediate and advanced English speakers at the City Centre and Poirier branches. See coqlibrary.ca for the most current schedule.
• Digital life skills for youth: Author Angela Crocker will show parents, teachers and guardians how to help youth navigate the risks of digital life. Attendees will learn physical and mental wellness behaviours that can be affected by excessive screen time and explore skills your teen can develop to enjoy a healthy online life. This program runs at the City Centre branch, Tuesday, Jan. 28 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Register online at coqlibrary.ca > Today’s Events.
Info: coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Pyjama Storytime: Put on your PJs and cuddle up for this cozy storytime with songs, rhymes, and stories to get everyone ready for bed. Join librarians in the children’s area Tuesday, Jan. 28 from 6 to 6:30 p.m. — drop in, no registration required.
• Fall prevention: Falls are the leading cause of injury among older Canadians and cause 85% of hospitalization for seniors. Join Fatma Taha, MD, MScP, MPH of Big Hearts Homecare Wednesday, Jan. 29 from 7 to 8 p.m. in the library’s ParkLane Room to learn how to avoid falls and what to do when a fall occurs. Visit portmoodylibrary.ca or call 604-469-4577 to register.
• Microsoft Excel Basics — Level 1: Spreadsheets are useful not only in the office but also in our everyday life. In this workshop — for beginners who have never used Excel before, although basic computer skills required — Thursday, Jan. 30 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in the library’s ParkLane Room, you will learn to create and save a spreadsheet, format your spreadsheet and make data easier to read, perform simple calculations on your data, and more. Call 604-469-4577 or visit portmoodylibrary.ca to register.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Ukulele Jam: All “uked” up and no place to jam? All levels of experience are welcome at our fun and relaxed ukulele circle Tuesday, Jan. 28, 7 to 8:30 p.m. — drop in.
• A Meditation on Mindfulness: This workshop is an introduction to the practice of mindfulness-based meditation. Included is an overview, Q&A and exploration of mindfulness with a guided meditation on Tuesday, Feb. 4, 7 to 8 p.m. Call or visit the library to register.
• Learn Coding with Lego Robot EV3s: Calling kids ages nine to 13: Add some excitement to your Saturday by learning to code a Lego EV3 Mindstorm robot. Program the robot to follow your instructions and watch it drive around the room on Saturday, Feb. 1 from 2 to 4 p.m. Space is limited; call or visit the library to register.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.