Books Plus runs in The Tri-City News each Friday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries: Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam.
• Fall Storytimes begin next week. Registration is not needed for these free programs — just drop in. Find CPL’s new schedule at www.coqlibrary.ca.
• TOMORROW: Summer Reading Club medal awards ceremony: Collect a medal for working so hard as a reader this summer at a ceremony Saturday, Sept. 8, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. at the Poirier branch in the Nancy Bennett Room. If you can’t make it to either of the ceremonies, medals will be available afterwards at both library branches, and on Library Link.
• Author visit: An evening with Tima Kurdi: Local author Tima Kurdi talks about her book, The Boy on the Beach: My Family’s Escape from Syria and Our Hope for a New Home. Kurdi is the aunt of Alan Kurdi, whose body washed up on a Turkish beach in September 2015. The talk is set for Wednesday, Sept. 19, 7 to 9 p.m. at the City Centre branch in Rooms 136 and 137. This is a free program; register through www.coqlibrary.ca.
• Stargazing: Join astronomer Bill Burnyeat Sept. 19 or 20 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Poirier branch parking lot for a chance to view the heavens through a telescope, and learn about the night sky. For children, teens and adults; families welcome. If the weather is not suitable, the program will move indoors to the Nancy Bennett Room, where Burnyeat will provide a talk and slide show. For more information, call librarian Chris Miller at 604-554-7339 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about any of these programs, visit www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Science Week Virtual Reality Experience: Celebrate Science Literacy Week with Fox librarians and experience the thrill of virtual reality. You can try out a mix of VR games as well as educational experiences. This program is intended for ages 10 and up or 48 inches or taller. Participants must read and sign a waiver (parents/guardians must sign the waiver for minors). This drop-in program runs Friday, Sept. 21, noon to 4 p.m.
• Science Week Playground: Come to Fox’s Science Week Playground, where there will be a selection of the library’s technology to try; build wild structures with Keva planks, experiment with Makey Makey or build a boat out of recycled materials and see if it can float on Wednesday Sept. 19, 2 to 4 p.m. (drop in).
• Dad Time: Join Terry Fox librarians for a fun drop-in program for all dads and male caregivers with little ones from one day to five years old. There will be songs, stories, games and crafts, with time after the program to socialize and hang out with other dads. They run on Saturdays, Sept. 15, Oct. 20 and Nov. 17, 2 to 2:45 p.m.
For more information, visit www.fvrl.bc.ca or the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo. Phone 604-927-7999.
• Fall Event and Program Guide: Check out what’s happening at Port Moody Public Library this fall. You can pick up a handy copy of the program guide at the library or look online in the Programs and Events section at library.portmoody.ca. Learn about Bitcoin and Blockchain, show off your baby’s costume at the spooky Boo Babies party or learn how to create comics with Ashley Spires — you’ll find programs for all ages and interests at the library.
• Storytimes: PMPL’s preschool programs will be starting again. Drop-in to Babytime for songs, rhymes, bounces, lullabies and a chance to bond with your baby on Mondays from 2 to 2:45 p.m. or Tuesdays from 10:30 to 11:15 p.m. Storytime is active family fun for all ages on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 10:30 to 11 a.m. All preschool programs begin the week of Sept. 17. Storytimes and Babytimes are drop-in programs — no registration is required.
• Learn Microsoft Office — Word: Join PoMo librarians Sept. 18 and 25 from 2 to 3 p.m. for a hands-on Microsoft Word workshop for beginners and those who want to refresh their knowledge of this high-demand program. The workshop consists of two weeks. Check the library’s website for follow-up Excel and PowerPoint workshops. Call 604-469-4577 to register.
For more information, visit library.portmoody.ca or call 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.