This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Library Day at the PNE: Show your Coquitlam Public Library card at the gate Aug. 21 to enter the PNE for just $6. There will be cool technology and fun activities for everyone in the Library Zone.
• Coquitlam Public Library anime convention: Youths from 11 to 19 years old, head to CPL’s City Centre branch Aug. 27 for a half-day celebration of anime culture, featuring an art marketplace, a cosplay contest, an Osu! tournament, a scavenger hunt, a karaoke contest and more. This event runs from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 pm in Rooms 127, 136 and 137, and the computer lab. To compete for prizes in Osu! or cosplay, or to display and sell your original artwork at the marketplace, you must register in advance at coqlibrary.ca/programs-events/teens/coquitlam-library-anime-convention. For more information, contact librarian Chris Miller at 604-554-7339 or email@example.com.
• Transparent Language Online: Interactive online courses and activities in more than 100 languages — including English — help people learn new languages quickly and easily. The KidSpeak program teaches words and phrases in English, French, Spanish and Mandarin suitable for learners ages six and older. Transparent Language Online and KidSpeak work on computers, tablets and smartphones so students can learn on the go, at home or in the library. To get started, go to coqlibrary.ca. Click on Digital Content and then on Transparent Languages. For help, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Summer Reading Club medal ceremony: Kids who have completed 50 days of reading in PMPL’s Summer Reading Club program can get a gold reading medal. Join librarians Aug. 24 in the afternoon for a fun day with games, crafts and photos to celebrate your reading achievement. Pick up a timed ticket to attend the ceremony at the Library information desk after you have completed 50 days of reading.
• Ukulele Jam: Jam with librarians Aug. 20 from 7 to 8 p.m. Learn and play new songs together. This jam is for people who know the basics (C, G, and F chords) and participants must bring their own ukulele. Call 604-469-4577 to register or register online at portmoodylibrary.ca.
• Teen volunteers needed: Are you a teen looking for leadership opportunities and volunteer hours? The library has many opportunities to build skills in programs such as Book Buddies and Code Buddies after school and on Saturdays. Visit portmoodylibrary.ca or call 604-469-4577 for more details.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
• Pop-up Babytime: Make language fun. Help your baby develop speech and language skills; enjoy bouncing, singing and rhyming with stories. Babytime is a fun, social bonding activity for babies and caregivers. Next sessions are the next two Fridays, Aug. 16 and 23, from 10:15 to 10:45 a.m. at the PoCo community centre in the lobby; enter lobby from doors in either parking lot (Kelly or Kingsway avenues), depending on construction and road closures — drop in.
• Pop-up Storytime: Introduce kids to the love of books and language with storytime. Children and caregivers will enjoy interactive stories, songs, rhymes and more Aug. 21 from 10:15 to 10:45 a.m. at the PoCo community centre in the lobby; enter lobby from doors in either parking lot (Kelly or Kingsway avenues), depending on construction and road closures — drop in.
• Summer Reading Club medal ceremony with Norden the Magician: Celebrate a summer of reading. Norden will have you laughing until your sides hurt Aug. 28; 6 to 6:45 p.m., Norden’s performance; 6:45 to 7:30 p.m., medal ceremony. This drop-in event takes place at the Leigh Square bandshell.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.