This feature, written by librarians with Coquitlam Public Library, Port Moody Public Library and Terry Fox Library in Port Coquitlam, is published each Thursday to highlight programs and happenings in the Tri-Cities’ three libraries.
• Summer Reading Club medal awards ceremonies: Collect a medal for working so hard as a reader this summer. You can pick up your medal and a voucher for a free DQ Dilly Bar at the Poirier Branch Saturday, Sept. 7 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. or 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Children who are not able to attend one of the award ceremonies can pick up a medal at either library branch or at the Library Link any time during opening hours. Call 604-554-7334 for more information.
• Fall storytime: Stories, songs, fingerplays and rhymes for babies (under two years old), toddlers (two to three years) and preschoolers (four to five years) will start the second week of September. Drop in and join the fun. See the schedule on the Children’s Programs and Events page at coqlibrary.ca.
• Parlez-Nous en Français: It’s a win-win for kids and teens: French Immersion students in Grades 1 to 6 can get help with grammar, pronunciation, reading, conversation and homework assignments while teen volunteers in Grades 8 to 12 earn community service hours for tutoring the young students. The fall session will be held at the Poirier branch on Fridays, Sept. 13 to Oct. 18, 3:45 to 4:30 p.m. To register, contact librarian Chris Miller: firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-554-7339.
• Discover Lego Robotics: Children in Grades 1 to 3 can have fun building and operating Lego robots with the help of a Robokids instructor. The program will be at the City Centre branch on Tuesdays, Sept. 17 to Oct. 8, 4 to 5 p.m. Register online on the Children’s Programs and Events page at coqlibrary.ca.
Info: www.coqlibrary.ca. The City Centre branch is located at 1169 Pinetree Way and the Poirier branch at 575 Poirier St.
• Library Fall Event and Program Guide now available: Check out what’s happening at Port Moody Public Library this fall. You can pick up a handy copy of the program guide at the library or look online in the Programs and Events section at portmoodylibrary.ca — you’ll find programs for all ages and interests at the library.
• Become a Library Champion: NewToBC Library Champions program is returning this fall to Port Moody Public Library and PMPL is looking for a new group of volunteers who are 19 years or older and who are permanent residents but not yet Canadian citizens. The Library Champions program offers opportunities for new and recent immigrants to help other new immigrants. Through the program, you can gain volunteer work experience, new friends and a better understanding of the services available at your library and in your community. Learn more at an information session Oct. 3 from 10 to 11:30 a.m.; register for the session at portmoodylibrary.ca or by calling 604-469-4577.
• Little Explorers: This hands-on storytime will explore early concepts in science, technology, math and engineering through songs, a story and a fun activity. Preschoolers can become junior scientists and explore the topic of colour on either Sept. 13 or 27 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Register at portmoodylibrary.ca or by calling 604-469-4577.
Info: library.portmoody.ca or 604-469-4577. Port Moody Public Library is located at 100 Newport Dr., in the city hall complex.
NOTE: Visit Terry Fox Library in its brand new space at the new Port Coquitlam community centre, 2150 Wilson Ave.
• Babytime: Make language fun. Help your baby develop speech and language skills — enjoy bouncing, singing and rhyming with stories. Babytime is a fun, social bonding activity for babies and caregivers. You can also spend time after the program to meet and socialize. The program runs Fridays, Sept. 6 through Dec. 13, 10:15 to 10:45 a.m. — drop in.
• Storytime: Introduce kids to the love of books and language with storytime.Children and caregivers will enjoy interactive stories, songs, rhymes, and more. This program next runs Saturday, Sept. 7 and Monday, Sept. 9, 10:15 to 10:45 a.m. — drop in.
• Lego Club: Terry Fox Library has the Lego, you bring your imagination. Try out Fox’s Keva Planks, too. This club is for kids ages five to 10 years and next meets Wednesday, Sept. 11, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. — drop in.
Info: www.fvrl.bc.ca, the Fraser Valley Regional Library Facebook page or 604-927-7999. Terry Fox Library is located 2470 Mary Hill Rd. in PoCo.